CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection

Posted by efoda5446
on 2004-03-12 13:18:35 UTC
i'm not exactly sure i understand the whole relay bit when it comes to
auxilary switching outside of just wiring up your drives. why would
you need that? the problem i have looking at the features and
comparing is none of them say,"this feature does this so you can do
this, etc." like, what the heck is a charge pump (i guess, if i don't
understand it i probably don't need it, though ;) and what's the
benefit of opto isolated outputs?

i think choosing one of these will probably work just fine but are
there any other boards to look at, that anyone could suggest, or are
these pretty much the options.

thanks your guys' input has been great!

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <les@l...> wrote:
> This is my personal opinion of these boards. Your mileage may vary :
-)

> > http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20.htm
> This is basically a terminal block with a few pullups and a 5V
supply.
> At $60 this seems a little steep, especially once you add a relay
board,
> and power supply.
>
> > http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-120/index.html
> Very configurable. Buffered outputs and opto isolated inputs. 4 on
board
> relays for auxiliary switching. This is a nice board. Opto isolated
> outputs and the ability to handle the Mach2 charge pump feature
would
> have been nice. Also there is no provision for PWM spindle speed
control.

> > http://www.campbelldesigns.com/breakout_board_plus.htm
> Similar to the PMDX board but no auxiliary relays. It does however
> support the Mach2 charge pump. LEDs on every line are useful for
> testing. No PWM spindle speed control yet, though one is apparently
in
> the pipeline(has been for quite a while now).
>

> If I was buying a board I think I would go for the PMDX-120. It
looks to
> be the best value for money. If you want a 5th axis you are probably
> best off using a second parallel port. You can fit 5 axes on 1 port
but
> you end up running out of outputs for auxiliary switching.
>
> Les

Discussion Thread

efoda5446 2004-03-12 06:03:43 UTC Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection turbulatordude 2004-03-12 06:11:01 UTC Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection Robert Campbell 2004-03-12 06:40:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection Ron K 2004-03-12 06:46:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection Les Newell 2004-03-12 06:54:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection efoda5446 2004-03-12 13:18:35 UTC Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection Robert Campbell 2004-03-12 15:22:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection Les Newell 2004-03-13 03:30:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Parallel Interface-Breakout Selection