CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: panel meters

Posted by Bob McKnight
on 2004-03-12 21:50:37 UTC
To: "'CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com'"
<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
From: Andy Wander <awander@...>
Date sent: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:50:16 -0500
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: panel meters
Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Andy

Thanks for the explanation.
I guess the question I really have regards matching the meter
to the transformer.
In analog meter movements there is a rating f.s. which is full
scale meter movement or the voltage required to swing the meter
needle across the scale to maximum voltage.
There is another rating which is the resistance of the meter
movement. My memory is that I thought I had a good meter
in the old Simpson 260? multimeter at 20,000 ohms/volt.
So the question is
Does the resistance of the meter movement make much of a
difference in the reading you get across the Current Transformer.
I always thought it did so used the old panel meters from substation
panels to make sure I got a fairly accurate reading.

Bob McKnight

A current transformer and a potential(or voltage) transformer are the
same thing. Anytime you transform current, you will also transform
potential. In a theoretically perfect(no losses) transformer, Power
out = Power in, and power is Voltage * current(again, in the perfect
case, neglecting power factor), so as one goes up, the other goes
down.

The reason that one may be CALLED a current transformer, I believe,
is
that the current is the thing you are actually using, measuring, or
desiring a specific level of. The voltage is also transformed, but you
"don't care" for the application.

The way a transformer works is the same whether it is a called current
transformer or a potential transformer-the voltage across(or current
through) one winding causes a changing magnetic field which causes a
voltage to be induced across the other winding, which causes a current
in the other winding(through the load).

The process of converting the amps flowing in a conductor to a voltage
is done by measuring across a known load(such as the shunt resistors
mentioned previously in this thread) and using ohms law (E=I*R) or
Potential in Volts = Current in Amperes * Resistance in ohms.

Analog meters are usually specified by current, but this current needs
a voltage to cause it, so in essence, once you know the meter specs,
if you know either voltage or current, you know the other.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation