CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Stepper Voltage/Current?

Posted by Les Newell
on 2004-03-13 03:56:21 UTC
Hi Kevin,

The original stepper drives run at above 100V. However, Gecko G201s at
about 70V and full current will run them quite well. You can make a
cheap power supply by reusing the big 110V transformer. If you wire the
transformer for twice your mains voltage you end up with 55V out. In my
case the mains is 230V (measured) so I wired my transformer for 460V. As
some of the auxiliary systems on my machine need 110V I wired them to
the 230V input of the transformer. As the transformer is running on half
it's designed voltage this terminal is now at 115V. As long as you don't
draw too much power (say less than 200W) this is perfectly safe.

There are some suitable smoothing capacitors and bridge rectifiers in
the control cabinet (use at least two of the 200V capacitors). The end
result is a very solid power supply that works really well.

You can fit all the control electronics and the computer into the power
cabinet but you do need to find a compact computer case as it is a tight
fit. In my case I moved the power cabinet to the side and scrapped the
control cabinet. As you cut the stepper wires this may be a good idea
for you to do. If you cut the wires close to the cabinet they should
still be long enough.

Les