CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: PCI 4 axis step and direction board

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-03-30 14:45:50 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, tommy clay
<tclay_35117@y...> wrote:
> anybody know a good inexpensive PSI (can also use ISA)
> step and direction board for CNC?

> http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Ballendo is correct. If you want prior generation technology,
Microkinetics still sells a 4 axis step and direction ISA card
(Optistep); sold one a few months back to another list member. The
card is not cheap and you still need the motor control cards for
power. The only off-the-shelf software that will drive the
proprietry card is their software. If you don't like the
features...tough. I think they offer an API kit if you want to roll
your own.

The market has shifted and the primary method of doing low cost CNC
interfaces is to use a software program driving a PC parallel port.
For DOS take a look at TurboCNC. For Linux look at EMC. For
Windows (without external hardware) there is MACH2. For Windows
with external hardware there is DeskCNC and Flashcut. Each has
advantages/disadvantages as to features, cost and max speeds.

Wait a few more months and there will be Windows and the Gecko 2000
series running from USB. Its a "smart" external piece of hardware
that will make software controllers faster and better.

Hang around the lists and you quickly see what most of us are using.

Discussion Thread

tommy clay 2004-03-30 12:22:14 UTC PCI 4 axis step and direction board ballendo 2004-03-30 13:14:06 UTC Re: PCI 4 axis step and direction board caudlet 2004-03-30 14:45:50 UTC Re: PCI 4 axis step and direction board ibewgypsie 2004-03-30 15:45:21 UTC Re: PCI 4 axis step and direction board ballendo 2004-03-31 07:55:52 UTC Re: PCI 4 axis step and direction board