CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM for Education

on 2004-04-28 15:40:51 UTC
If you are looking for a turn key system, Smithy is working on such a
machine. It won't be cheap though and the first prototype has a
rahter large working envelope. We are talking $11000 here.

There use to be an outfit that made small desk top machining systems.
Its been a long time but I believe the name was Light Machines or
something like that. Again not cheap. Look them up on the internet
to see if they are still around.

Donations! Seriously you may be able to get a larger machine donated
from a local industry source. Generaly the controls are outdated but
if you can get a machine that takes a serial port connection from a PC
then you are close to having a CADCAM system. Do make certain that
the machine works, unless you have the ability to upgrade yourself.

AS to some of the CNC conversion mills I'd would tend to suggest that
you gloss over these. The likely hood that they will meet OSHA
requirements much less the requirements of an education institution is
thin at best. Safety should be a big concern for the obvious reason of
high school students and the dumb things they tend to do (we have all
been there right?). The other issue is that even the best crafted
programs at times crash tooling and in doing so expose students to
significant dangers. This is why I believe purpose built equipment or
industrial machining centers are the way to go, they simply offer better
safety features over conversion. Further an old machining center is
much more likely to survive that class room than osme of the cheaper
alternatives.

Space can be an issue but small industrial machines do exist. Located
properly they can integrate into your class room rather well.

Try these vendors:
http://www.dynamechtronics.com/
http://www.golmatic.de/GOLmatic/GOLmatic_MACHINES/golmatic_machines.html
http://www.lmcorp.com/productcenter/index.html
<<<<<<<<<<Light Machines
http://www.max-computer.de/index2_e.html

I'm sure there are others, but agian the cheapest avenue to follow may
just be an older machine. You may very well be able to get one for
pennys on the dollar.

Thanks
DAVe