CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAD/CAM for Education

Posted by Jerry Julian
on 2004-04-28 19:12:30 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "dougstuiv" <DOUGSTUIV@c...>
wrote:
> I teach CAD at the high school level, and am considering adding a
> CAM unit. I have two questions:
> Does anyone have suggestions on an affordable bench-top size
> mill
> that will survive in an classroom environment? I would like
> something more robust than the little toy-size units that are
> marketed to educational institutions, with a work envelope at least
> 4 x 6 x 12 inches or so. I don't have room for, nor can afford, a
> full size machine.
> Also, any suggestions on affordable software to convert files
> from
> AutoCAD, Inventor, or maybe Rhino to G-code?
> Doug

Doug, I taught CAD until a couple of years ago. We used the TECHNO
line of router mills for educational service. I had a 12" x 14" x 3"
machine in the drafting area and we had three or four of similar size
in the wood technology area with one that was 22" x 30" x about 7".
I was using AutoCAD, Rhino, and MasterCAM computer programs. Being I
taught the drafting, we used all of the above but the students in
wood technology used the CAD system in MasterCAM only. We also use
MasterCAM at our Skill Center with industrial size machines. Where
are you located and if you want additional information, contact me
directly at my e-mail address above. The TECHNO is a gantry style
machine and we used them for wood routering, masters in 3-D of wood,
high density foam and machineable wax. Jerry

Discussion Thread

dougstuiv 2004-04-28 14:44:35 UTC CAD/CAM for Education Dave Fisher 2004-04-28 15:13:09 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM for Education David A. Frantz 2004-04-28 15:40:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM for Education Jerry Julian 2004-04-28 19:12:30 UTC Re: CAD/CAM for Education Fred Smith 2004-04-28 19:13:53 UTC Re: CAD/CAM for Education work 2004-04-28 19:14:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM for Education Jerry Julian 2004-04-28 22:56:13 UTC Re: CAD/CAM for Education