CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help

Posted by Lance Hopper
on 2004-06-04 08:59:29 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Hopper" <snaggletto@c...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> >

> > Lance Hopper wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for the replies Jon and Peter.
> > > I'm running the BDI TNG (RH7.2 based). I hope the patch works on
> > >the EMC version I'm running, as it's the only one I had any luck with.
> > >
> > > I'm curios about the "digital out bits" section of the .ini. I'm
> > >not understanding how the bit number relates to what I'm calling the
> > >pin number. Is bit '0' pin 1 or something?
> > > Also, I've got an 'init' output (pin 16) that needs to be mapped to
> > >machine on/off button in EMC. I don't see any definition for it in the
> > >.ini, or in the handbooks' layout of the default pin configuration
> > >and what each pin is mapped to. To what pin do you wire "machine on/off"
> > >to? It seems that there are only settings for spindle and coolant
> > >outputs in the .ini.
> > >

> > Bit 0 is pin 2, bit 1 is pin 3 .... bit 7 is pin 9 (these are the
> > printer data bits)
> > There are more bits that can be assigned.
> >
> > See the emc documentation for more info. This page
> > http://emc.sourceforge.net/Handbook/node22.html
> > seems to be nearly what you are looking for.
> >
> > Jon
>
> Thanks for the links. I have read the users/integrators manuals. I
> took your info and compared it to EMC's "IO show" and now I understand
> what all the views show. I picked up a par port inline jumper board
> to change my pinout, I got my step/dir swapped as needed, and I've got
> the limits working.
> What's throwing me off now is an "enable" or
> "init" output, which (in Mach2) sends power to the motors, when E-stop
> is off, or maybe in EMC, when e-stop is off and machine is "ON". I see
> no mention of such an output, or any what to configure it in the .ini.
> Furthermore, my Super-tech controller comes up in "lopwr" mode, for
> allowing the motors to not get hot when idle. I need an EMC output to
> toggle "lopwr" and "hipwr". If I can get these to outputs working, I'll
> be ready to go

I've been doing testing with my parport jumper board. I'm not getting
any state changes when E-stop is on, or off, or machine on/off. Yes,
my par port is working and EMC is reading it (limits switches work, as
confirmed by EMC and IO show). I can 'hot wire' my controller by
jumpering pin 16 (EMC) to pin 14 (controller). Motors get power and can
be jogged around (step/dir working fine). However, the motors have
power no matter if EMC estop is on/off or EMC machine on/off.

I retested with MACH 2 and estop off turns on power to my motors,
estop on turns power off. I can enable my hi/lo power to my steppers,
everything works and I can see the state changes when estop is on/off.

My problem is in EMC, somehow my estop/machine on/off switches are
not configured to my parallel port. What the heck am I doing wrong??

Discussion Thread

Lance Hopper 2004-06-02 11:08:17 UTC EMC Parallel port config, please help Alan Marconett 2004-06-02 11:14:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Parallel port config, please help Lance Hopper 2004-06-02 11:38:08 UTC Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Peter Linss 2004-06-02 17:16:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Jon Elson 2004-06-02 22:42:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Lance Hopper 2004-06-03 04:17:23 UTC Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Jon Elson 2004-06-03 09:15:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help JanRwl@A... 2004-06-03 20:55:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Lance Hopper 2004-06-04 04:50:15 UTC Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Lance Hopper 2004-06-04 08:59:29 UTC Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help Jon Elson 2004-06-04 10:28:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Parallel port config, please help