CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Help in selecting software please.

on 2004-06-20 09:00:54 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stickymike23"
<mikestein@p...> wrote:
> I have an RB20 mill which I have fitted steppers to. Today I have
> ordered a couple of Gecko stepper drivers. Now I have to make the
> biggest decision, what software. So far I have found Mach2 and
> Kellycam. The pc I have may limit things as its only a p100 with
32
> RAM. I dont really want to have a better pc in my garage than my
> house, but if there is an overwhelming reason to get one package
over
> another I can bend on that.
> I am more interested in engineering than engraving .
> I tried looking back through some of the posts here but as there
are
> about 70,000 my eyes glazed ever after reading about 100.
>
> I would appreciate any help on where to steer
>
> Mike

Mike,

I'm new to this but I'm also attempting to do a cnc mill
conversion...I've just finished building a plasma table using the
Gecko 201's.

Going up the learning curve, I learned my computer was what was
limiting my max traverse feed rates, the low torque Nema 34's
limited my accel / decels..

I started with CNCPro and ended up going to Mach2 because I wanted
to use Autocad. I liked CNCpro, but didn't like going to DOS to run
the machine. I like Mach2 alot; even though I'm just getting to
know it. I like staying in the windows environment... makes
dropping a dxf file into Mach2 alot easier than having to leave
windows and boot up again to run the CNCPro.

I didn't catch what OS you're using. I'd suggest you visit the
Mach2 site and download the appropriate demo for your OS.

Then, run the software and note the max pulse rate (steps / sec) you
get. From this, you can determine your max feed rate in ips, given
your thread pitch, etc. Also, note the Gecko drives really have a
resolution of 2000 steps/rev, since they are micor-controllers.

All this adds up your processor speed limiting your max feed rates.

Good luck,

Dave

Discussion Thread

stickymike23 2004-06-18 09:13:43 UTC Help in selecting software please. David A. Frantz 2004-06-18 09:31:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. james_cullins@s... 2004-06-18 10:18:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Jon Elson 2004-06-18 10:28:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Brad Eyben 2004-06-18 10:29:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Fred Smith 2004-06-18 12:51:47 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. flightrider2003 2004-06-20 09:00:54 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. stickymike23 2004-06-20 11:59:25 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please.