CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Help in selecting software please.

Posted by stickymike23
on 2004-06-20 11:59:25 UTC
Thanks Dave and everyone else that has replied. To get things up and
running I will start with turboCNC. When I understand the basics I
will look at EMC and Mach2 and just get whatever hardware is needed.
Mike
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "flightrider2003"
<daveinfl@a...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stickymike23"
> <mikestein@p...> wrote:
> > I have an RB20 mill which I have fitted steppers to. Today I have
> > ordered a couple of Gecko stepper drivers. Now I have to make the
> > biggest decision, what software. So far I have found Mach2 and
> > Kellycam. The pc I have may limit things as its only a p100 with
> 32
> > RAM. I dont really want to have a better pc in my garage than my
> > house, but if there is an overwhelming reason to get one package
> over
> > another I can bend on that.
> > I am more interested in engineering than engraving .
> > I tried looking back through some of the posts here but as there
> are
> > about 70,000 my eyes glazed ever after reading about 100.
> >
> > I would appreciate any help on where to steer
> >
> > Mike
>
> Mike,
>
> I'm new to this but I'm also attempting to do a cnc mill
> conversion...I've just finished building a plasma table using the
> Gecko 201's.
>
> Going up the learning curve, I learned my computer was what was
> limiting my max traverse feed rates, the low torque Nema 34's
> limited my accel / decels..
>
> I started with CNCPro and ended up going to Mach2 because I wanted
> to use Autocad. I liked CNCpro, but didn't like going to DOS to
run
> the machine. I like Mach2 alot; even though I'm just getting to
> know it. I like staying in the windows environment... makes
> dropping a dxf file into Mach2 alot easier than having to leave
> windows and boot up again to run the CNCPro.
>
> I didn't catch what OS you're using. I'd suggest you visit the
> Mach2 site and download the appropriate demo for your OS.
>
> Then, run the software and note the max pulse rate (steps / sec)
you
> get. From this, you can determine your max feed rate in ips, given
> your thread pitch, etc. Also, note the Gecko drives really have a
> resolution of 2000 steps/rev, since they are micor-controllers.
>
> All this adds up your processor speed limiting your max feed rates.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

stickymike23 2004-06-18 09:13:43 UTC Help in selecting software please. David A. Frantz 2004-06-18 09:31:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. james_cullins@s... 2004-06-18 10:18:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Jon Elson 2004-06-18 10:28:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Brad Eyben 2004-06-18 10:29:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Fred Smith 2004-06-18 12:51:47 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. flightrider2003 2004-06-20 09:00:54 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. stickymike23 2004-06-20 11:59:25 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please.