CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please.

on 2004-06-18 09:31:52 UTC
Hi Mike;

The first thing that comes to mind is why do you believe that you only
need one piece of software? The reality is there are many options
some of which are free. Some run under DOS, some Windows and others
under Linux. There are probally others running under somethng else I
don't know about.

The PC specs you gave will have a tendency to limit what you will be
able to run some. To that end I'd suggest a rather massive upgrade to
your PC. The upgrade may or may not be required for the choosen CNC
software but it will be very help full with CAD/CAM software and other
design tasks. Since your interest are engineering this seems to be to
be a credible investment. Even at that expect low end CNC
performance from that PC.

I normally would reccomend Linux and EMC as the better software
combo. I do suspect that on your PC that would be very limited in
performance and would require a very old version of Linux/EMC.

Thanks
Dave

stickymike23 wrote:

>I have an RB20 mill which I have fitted steppers to. Today I have
>ordered a couple of Gecko stepper drivers. Now I have to make the
>biggest decision, what software. So far I have found Mach2 and
>Kellycam. The pc I have may limit things as its only a p100 with 32
>RAM. I dont really want to have a better pc in my garage than my
>house, but if there is an overwhelming reason to get one package over
>another I can bend on that.
>I am more interested in engineering than engraving .
>I tried looking back through some of the posts here but as there are
>about 70,000 my eyes glazed ever after reading about 100.
>
>I would appreciate any help on where to steer
>
>Mike

Discussion Thread

stickymike23 2004-06-18 09:13:43 UTC Help in selecting software please. David A. Frantz 2004-06-18 09:31:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. james_cullins@s... 2004-06-18 10:18:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Jon Elson 2004-06-18 10:28:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Brad Eyben 2004-06-18 10:29:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help in selecting software please. Fred Smith 2004-06-18 12:51:47 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. flightrider2003 2004-06-20 09:00:54 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please. stickymike23 2004-06-20 11:59:25 UTC Re: Help in selecting software please.