CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Computers in the Shop

Posted by washcomp
on 2004-06-27 18:15:29 UTC
I use my PC as a CNC controller for my Bridgeport. It is a standard
PC, but is enclosed in a NEMA 19" enclosure with two 4" filtered fans
to supply posative pressure. The remote control panel houses an LCD
monitor and is handled similarly.

There is an industrial keyboard (with a hula sealed pointing device)
attached to the control panel. Of course the control panel has the
requisit assortment of oil tight switches, joysticks, etc.

Because I'm a gadget nut, there is also a wirless combination
keyboard/trackball and a wireless game controller. If I'm standing
at the control panel, I tend to stand and use the industrial
keyboard. Frankly, the feel of the wireless keyboard is so superior
to the industrial one, I find myself using it from a chair (it's no
fun hittng CTL-ALT-DEL while standing on a portable keyboard).

Hope this helps,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, cnc002@a... wrote:
> [...]
>
> I have a variety of computers available to me (laptops,
> horizontal/vertical desktops, rack mounts) to choose from for the
> controller. Same goes for the furniture that the computer will be
in
> or on.
>
> I would like to hear from others as to what your computer
> configuration is and how well it works for you.
>
> Some of the issues that I am looking at...
>
> How important is it to have the computer ruggedized for the less
than
> favorable conditions that a shop environment presents?
>
> What type of rack, desk, table, etc. do you use to hold your
> equipment?
>
> How portable? Built into a stationary rack/desk or should it be
> portable to move around to different machines?
>
> Do you use it standing or sitting?
>
> How big a display? Monochrome or color? CRT or LCD?
>
> What type of keyboard? Mouse or trackball?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> TMT
>
> As the little description below indicates, I do servicing,
upgrading etc.
> for the woodworking industry. As you can guess, this is an
extremely
> unfriendly environment for computers. However, even the OEM
suppliers that build CNC
> machines for this industry often use just plain off the shelf PC
machines.
> Others use proprietary controls that are "ruggedized". If you do
use a
> regular PC I would suggest some type of enclosure for it just to
protect it from
> any liquids, other foreign material that might get to it. Even
the
> industrial/ruggedized units do this.
>
> However, I do have a number of customers that are using the
standard PC
> units with absolutely no protection and they have been working in
very dusty
> environments for years. That is some indication of how rugged the
off the shelf
> units are.
>
> Now, if you are using a GUI such as Windows I would recommend a
color
> monitor, even if you are using DOS that is still a good idea, they
are not very
> expensive anymore unless you go for the Flat Panel units. I use
just standard
> 15" CRT monitors in the controls I design and install. Also, I
use regular PC
> units but they are inside an enclosure.
>
> Regarding whether you are standing or sitting, that is strictly
your choice.
> Most OEM units are designed for use while standing as most of the
machine
> operators will be standing.
>
> Again, the choice of keyboard is up to you. The industrial
controls usually
> have a membrane keyboard but these have problems of their own.
Since you
> can purchase regular keyboards for a standard PC for as little as
$3.95 USD
> that is what I recommend. You can purchase quite a few years
worth of those for
> what an industrial/ruggedized unit would cost. Again, many of the
OEM
> companies use the standard keyboards, as do I.
>
> The choice of a mouse or trackball is again, up to you. I happen
to no like
> trackballs but that is just my preference. Both work on the same
principles
> so choose which you like best. The one advantage to a trackball
is that it
> doesn't move around so less space is required for use.
>
> I hope this is of some help to you.
>
> Randy Abernathy
> 4626 Old Stilesboro Road NW
> Acworth, GA 30101-4066
> Phone / Fax: 770-974-5295
> Cell: 678-772-4113
> E-mail: Cnc002@a...
>
> I furnish technical support, repair, and other related services
for your
> industrial woodworking machinery. My background as Senior Service
Engineer for

too_many_tools 2004-06-27 13:17:51 UTC Computers in the Shop cnc002@a... 2004-06-27 15:13:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Computers in the Shop washcomp 2004-06-27 18:15:29 UTC Re: Computers in the Shop too_many_tools 2004-07-01 22:28:15 UTC Re: Computers in the Shop Jon Elson 2004-07-02 09:27:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Computers in the Shop