CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Computers in the Shop

too_many_tools wrote:

>>How important is it to have the computer ruggedized for the less
>>

>than
>

>>favorable conditions that a shop environment presents?

I got a keyboard cover for the machine that runs the mill. It cost
about $18,
you send in info from the keyboard such as model # and key count, and they
send back the cover. It has worked well, and resists oil and hot chips
pretty
well.

>>What type of rack, desk, table, etc. do you use to hold your
>>equipment?

I made a frame that is bolted to the side of my Bridgeport that simulates a
desk enough so one of those swinging, elevating CRT/Kbd arms will fit.
See 2nd picture at http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/CNCconv.html
for a look at this. It works very well.

>>How portable? Built into a stationary rack/desk or should it be
>>portable to move around to different machines?

I have mine built into a rack, with a custom rackmount cabinet for the
computer. See top picture here http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/EMC.html
for a view of the rack. Since I had more space in the rack, I made a drawer
for all the measuring and setup tools I use often.

>>Do you use it standing or sitting?

In the same pic as the kbd/monitor, you can see a chair. This was a
standard
roll-around office chair, and I added a piece of pipe to elevate it about a
foot more. A drafting chair might also be perfect. I whittled away on that
pipe until the height range was right where I wanted it. I can now do many
setups and keep an eye on the milling while seated, and also use the
keyboard.
It doesn't matter for a ten minute job, but an eight hour run gets VERY
tiring
if you can't sit!

>>How big a display? Monochrome or color? CRT or LCD?

I use junked 14" monitors from work, and lived at 600x480 for a while.
I now
have a monitor that does 800x600 and can struggle at 1024x780. Color CRT.
I have a plastic shield to keep the chips out of the vents at the top of
the CRT.

>>What type of keyboard? Mouse or trackball?

I have a trackball on all my computers, as I HATE mice! They give me carpal
tunnel syndrome because I get a "death grip" on the mouse while doing CAD
entry. You have to do that to keep the mouse from moving a couple encoder
ticks while pressing a button. A trackball doesn't do that.

too_many_tools 2004-06-27 13:17:51 UTC Computers in the Shop cnc002@a... 2004-06-27 15:13:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Computers in the Shop washcomp 2004-06-27 18:15:29 UTC Re: Computers in the Shop too_many_tools 2004-07-01 22:28:15 UTC Re: Computers in the Shop Jon Elson 2004-07-02 09:27:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Computers in the Shop