CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools

on 2004-07-27 11:15:57 UTC
I was going to suggest that that was a real possibility, but the
designer took care of that.

The problem is two fold as I see it. One you want to cover a rather
large area and two you would need to maintain accuracy over a large area
on various materials.

The large area means long travels on at least one axis. If you build a
gantry type mill this implies that at least part of the table is longer
than the 19 inches of the panels you want to cut. Even a conventional
mill would require a long table to cover 19 inch panels. Probally the
best choice for this type of Application would be some sort of gantry
device given that you can keep it square and flat. It will not
however be easy to build such a machine with limited tooling, your best
bet MIGHT be extruded aluminum sections.

The problem with accuracy is significant even when milling PC boards.
Ideally you don't want to remove anything more than the cladding.
This implies rather tight tolerances with respect to spindle hieght.
Some of this tolerance concern can be elminated buy having the spindle
plane the mounting table. When it comes to metal machining accuracy
is important as is a stiff machine to keep chatter an a minimum. It
may be that a PCB board mill is within you tooling capabilities but that
a machine capable of handling metal is not. If you really need the
metal machining capability, there is always the possibility of engaging
somebody locally to help with the project. It may cost you a bit be be
worthwhile in the end.

Do consider searching the net for other plans.

Dave

ab2pn wrote:

>I emailed him and he said hes machines are not suited for what I want
>to do.

Discussion Thread

Ron 2004-07-27 09:54:10 UTC CNC machine building without scads of tools ab2pn 2004-07-27 10:48:59 UTC Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools David A. Frantz 2004-07-27 11:15:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools ab2pn 2004-07-27 12:50:26 UTC Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools Steven Ciciora 2004-07-27 12:59:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools ab2pn 2004-07-27 18:41:56 UTC Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools David A. Frantz 2004-07-27 19:48:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools ab2pn 2004-07-27 20:40:24 UTC Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools Andrew Werby 2004-07-29 14:48:21 UTC Re: Re: CNC machine building without scads of tools Derek B. 2004-07-29 15:55:37 UTC New controller andywander 2004-08-15 10:26:48 UTC Re: New controller Derek B. 2004-08-15 19:27:17 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New controller aerowright 2004-08-15 19:41:07 UTC Re: New controller Andy Wander 2004-08-15 20:10:14 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New controller Statman Designs, LLC 2004-08-15 21:04:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New controller Derek B. 2004-08-15 23:00:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New controller Andy Wander 2004-08-16 05:09:59 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New controller turbulatordude 2004-08-16 09:24:39 UTC Re: New controller - Mariss ?