CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: Grizzly - Re: consider resurrecting a d ead CNC

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2004-08-18 12:54:18 UTC
If you are willing to do some research, scrounging, and other work, you
don't have to spend near that amount.

You already have the mill.

You will need motors(stepper or servo), motor drives, a power supply, and a
PC, at the minimum.

I used:

(3) 600 oz-in steppers that I found on ebay for ~$70 ea= $210
(3) Gecko G201 drives at $114 ea = $ 342
an old computer case with Low-voltage supply (free)
to which I added (2) PMDX-120(I think, their cheapest) breakout card a $30
ea = $60
a homemade power supply for which I scroun\ged parts, but you should be able
to build a good one for $100
about $200 worth of relays, switches, connectors, etc
for a basic total cost of $912.

That doesn't include the spindle motor speed controller(another $50 or so),
or the DC motors with controller that I ended up using, but it will get you
running.

It also doesn't include the PC, but $500 will get you a pretty whiz-bang
machine these days. Much less if you can scrounge an older machine, or use
one you already have. Add another $30 for a PCI parallel port card.

You will also have to build some motor mounts, and figure out how to drive
the leadscrews.

I am using the original Acme screws on my machine-I find it is usable, and
iI can always upgrade to ballscrews in the future if I see the need.

None of this takes into account the time you will have to spend figuring
this all out, but I think that, unless you need the machine running right
away for some production work that absolutely can't wait, you are better off
doing it this way-you will learn A LOT about the machine and how it all
works when you actually do some of the design yourself.

As far as software, I use Mach2($150) and SheetCAM(currently free in Beta).

Anyway, just do what you can afford, and upgrade things if needed/as you can
afford to.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation