CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: turning center retrofit for home shop?

Posted by Bob Muse
on 2004-09-01 11:45:09 UTC
This idea is not wacky in the least Actually a unit exactly like what you
describe was produced commercially by Anilam. It was called a Lathe-Mate as
I recall.

As far as retrofitting a turning center, I am in the process of doing just
that with a Leblond 12-12 NC Turret Lathe. I removed the hydraulic servos
and controls and installed brushless servos that take step and direction and
a PC to run the works. It has two tool turrets, but unfortunately, no
tailstock. I have made some test runs and it looks promising but there are
some problems with the hydraulics in the headstock--old seals are leaking
and need to be replaced. So hopefully soon I will be able to report just
how well the conversion works.

I would advise anyone considering a retrofit of a larger manual lathe to
look around and pick up a cheap NC or CNC with a bad control. You will save
yourself a lot of work and have a better machine. Either that or seriously
consider this not-so-wacky idea