CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales

Posted by alphawolf45
on 2004-09-25 13:55:50 UTC
Well thankyou Eric
That made perfect sense..I'll look for a new encoder.
Steven
.--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "pondindustrial"

<haushahn@c...>
> wrote:
> > I am in the process up gathering info and parts to upgrade an old
> > Hurco Bedmill to PC controls.I have ripped all the old
electronics
> > off the machine cept motors and limit switchs ..I have new servo
> > drivers in hand and just gotta get a coat of frsh paint on the
> > machine and will be ready to wire something up....Cleaning on the
> > machine today I found that the X-axis motor's rotary encoder had
> been
> > disconnected and somebody had installed a glass scale on backside
> of
> > the bed for that axis.Reckon I should try to find a new rotary
> > encoder or is the linear scale gonna be alright? I been reading
> about
> > rotary optical encoders but havent a clue at the electrical
> > differences between them and the linear scales..I want to keep
> this
> > simple where I can and save the sweat for the worthy
> > problems..Hehhehehheh
> > Then another question if somebody wants to take a stab at it
is
> > why did the old controller make use of a tach signal from the
> > servomotor and these PC run conversions dont use that signal?--Or
> > maybe they do and I havent got to that part of the reading
> > materials..This is my winter project and I got a lot to learn
yet.I
> > figure this isnt the last time I'll ask questions here.
> > Thanks
> > Steven

Discussion Thread

alphawolf45 2004-09-25 12:24:35 UTC rotary encoder versus glass scales pondindustrial 2004-09-25 13:25:19 UTC Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales alphawolf45 2004-09-25 13:55:50 UTC Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales afogassa 2004-09-25 15:59:20 UTC Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales jcc3inc 2004-09-27 06:34:04 UTC Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales john_glynn57 2004-09-27 14:05:24 UTC Re: rotary encoder versus glass scales