CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Machining both ends (depth stop)?

on 2004-10-09 08:55:20 UTC
Hi Ron and others:
There is another very convenient stop that is available to all, without mods
to the machine, and is usually overlooked.
Simply use the edge of the tool as a length stop.
This works well in 3 jaw chucks and is repeatable within 0.001" routinely.
On another note, it is possible to get excellent precision from a 3 jaw
chuck...even a chuck of modest quality ( and price!!!).
The two best ways in order of my preference:
1) Take the backplate off the chuck and turn the register down 0.020" or so.
Then either install 4 screws around the periphery of the chuck to use as
adjusters (just like Bison and Buck use on their Set Tru setup), or put
Belleville washers under the bolt heads and then tap the chuck body into
concentric position with a chunk of copper before you snug the bolts up
tight.
You'll find that you can get repeatability of 0.0005" TIR from part to part
so long as the parts are all roughly the same diameter and so long as you
always use the same pinion to tighten the chuck.
You can also take amazingly heavy cuts without having anything shift on
you...0.200" cuts are perfectly fine in 4140 HT!!
2) Get a chuck that allows you to use soft jaws.
Bore them to size and get the same repeatability ( so long as you remember
to use the same pinion!!!).

Way #2 is a pain in the butt, but very nice for skinny parts or parts with
weird shapes that are otherwise hard to grab.
On a Sherline or Taig, way #2 is the only way to go because there is no
separate backplate to allow radial adjustment.
Sherline sells soft jaw blanks...very worthwhile in my opinion.

Cheers

Marcus