CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Qmodem terminal

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2004-11-01 18:26:30 UTC
To check your cable out and back and the qmodem program make up a connector
that plugs into the end of the cable. Jumper pins 2 to 3, pins 4 to 5 and
pins 6-8-20. Three separate jumpers. This is called a loop back plug.

Start the qmodem program and start typing. You should see what you type. If
you see double, two characters of what ever you type, turn echo off.

If OK so far find an Idiot block (little block with several LEDs on it that
plugs into the end of the modem cable that lets you see the status of each
line).

Plug in the loop back to see what it looks like. Then remove the loop back
and plug it into the indexer. First check to see if pin 2 and 3 are lite. If
not you probably hace a DTE / DCE mismatch and need to cross pins 2 and 3 in
one end of the cable. Try again and see if both LED 2 and 3 light up. You
may also need to cross 4-5 and 6-8 keeping 8 and 20 together.

The LEDs will not tell you if your baud, data, parity and stop bits are set
wrong but will tell you if you have the signal lines hooked up properly.

Ask for more help with RS-232 standard communications if needed.

Blindly figuring out RS-232 is not for the faint of heart.

Hugh