CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Z axis knee how to

Posted by Peter Renolds
on 2005-01-11 17:45:13 UTC
Hi Scott,

When I cnc'd the knee, I installed a ballscrew for the Z axis and two
170lb gas springs to offset some of the static weight of the knee. My
mill was new, but there was still a very small amount of play in the
gears. To further reduce this, I fitted a .001" or .002" (can't
remember) shim under the horizontal bevel gear. This caused the gears
to mesh more tightly and will likely cause premature wear - but did
virtually eliminate backlash. I check the gears after 2000 hours of use
and they still look fine, still now appreciable backlash. Don't overdo
the shimming though, or you'll really destroy the gears (or a bearing)
quickly. All up, my Z axis backlash was under a 'thou and was still
under a 'thou last time I checked it.

Regarding belts, I would recommend the Gates GT2 design profile for
belts and pulleys - I have noticed a small amount of backlash in my HTD
belts and pulleys - even though they are correctly tensioned. It's just
a function of the HTD tooth profile. But in my case it's not enough of
an issue to warrant replacing them...

Cheers, Peter

Polaraligned wrote:

>I have the table currently off of my 9x42 and used a test indicator
>to measure the knee side to side play. Came up with .0003" with my

Discussion Thread

cnc_4_me 2005-01-09 15:05:03 UTC Bridport Z axis knee how to Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-01-09 15:24:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridport Z axis knee how to R Rogers 2005-01-09 15:35:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridport Z axis knee how to Polaraligned 2005-01-11 17:02:48 UTC Re: Bridport Z axis knee how to Peter Renolds 2005-01-11 17:45:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Z axis knee how to