CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: edm-software?

Posted by Larry
on 2005-01-14 15:29:59 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alflewerken" <lewerken@t...>

What about building a sensing powersupply that will just power up when
the wire starts to get too close to the work?

wrote:

> Hi Wally,
>
> The EDM plans do include an electronic control circuitry and also it
> contains some software called "testware" wich can make some simple
> cuts, but this is very rudimentary. The machine works with this
> software and I can make basic cuts. But I have built this machine
> for fun and learning about edm.
>
> The next project will be to build an 4-axis wire-edm, so I'm able to
> do undercuts in my workpieces. The path and axis-synchronisation
> will be more sophisticated than the 2-axis one.
>
> I have the opportunity to "play" with some agie-edm machines and it
> would be fun to create some free software (e.g. gnu-license) based
> on emc2.
>
> The difficulty to use emc2 for this project would possibly the fact,
> that emc has no possibility to react to the feedback (current-
> measurement). Sometimes the control-software has to retract and go
> some steps back on the path it came from, if a shortcut between the
> wire and the workpiece is detected.
>
> Thats the reason I have asked for some source-code snipplets.
>
> Alf
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "cnc_4_me" <cnc4me@g...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I suspect that you need a hardware interface between your software
> > and the cutting wire...I do not think software on a pc will be
> fast
> > enough or smart enough to control the EDM machine....The current
> in
> > the wire will have to be monitored and the waveform constantly
> > adjusted and the table fed...Monitoring the waveform will require
> > filtering and analysis...All done in real time so wire dose not
> > break...
> >
> > Are you saying the EDM plans do not include any electronic control
> > circuitry???
> >
> > Wally
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alflewerken"
> <lewerken@t...>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have built an wire-edm-machine from the plans available from
> the
> > > http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/Products2.htm website.
> > >
> > > Now I need some control-software to control this machine. My
> Idea
> > > was to write an kinematics-module for the emc2, but before I
> begin
> > > to program I am wondering, if someone knows some control-
> software
> > or
> > > even some source-code for this purpose. Everything will be
> welcome,
> > > even source-code-snipplets.
> > >
> > > The problem is, that the control-software can't cut with an
> > constant
> > > feedrate through the material, but has to take the feedback from
> > the
> > > edm-process into account.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help in advance.
> > >
> > > Alf Lewerken

> [...]

Discussion Thread

alflewerken 2005-01-10 12:26:27 UTC edm-software? cnc_4_me 2005-01-10 13:40:25 UTC Re: edm-software? Michael Milligan 2005-01-10 15:35:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] edm-software? alflewerken 2005-01-11 12:29:16 UTC Re: edm-software? Larry 2005-01-14 15:29:59 UTC Re: edm-software? TomP 2005-01-15 17:08:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: edm-software?