CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mach2 and linux

on 2005-01-28 15:40:50 UTC
Rod McBeath wrote:

>At 12:24 PM 1/28/2005, you wrote:
>

>> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:22:05 -0500
>> From: Ron Ginger <ronginger@...>
>>Subject: Re: Minimum reasonable computer speed?
>>
>>I use an old 333mhz pc with 196mb running Win2000 and Mach2 on my Prazi
>>mill. It runs fast enough for than machine. I Use a 750mhz on my CNC
>>router, and that is limited to about 65 in/min rapids, but it has servos
>>and ratios that take 32,000 pulses per inch. It does run reliabily with
>>Mach set for the 35K pulse rate.
>>
>>I sure wish Mach ran under Linux, and that I had a good CAD and CAM
>>suite, Id love to not have any microsoft product in the house. In
>>particular, note the new Microsoft policy to take effect in the next few
>>months that will require proof of orign to get service updates. See
>>http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050126/D87RIG600.html for details.
>>
>>ron ginger
>>

>I think I saw on the crossoffice site (www.codeweavers.com) that if enough
>people showed interest, they would consider doing the work. I doubt Art is
>interested doing the porting (again, they offer the tools), but possibly if
>enough interest was shown? I understand that with this software, it is not
>run in a windows emulator, but as native code. Please note, I am NOT a
>programer, so if I get some of the terminology/facts wrong, I'll appreciate
>correcting, but no need to be nasty... :)
>
>Yes, I know about the site as I am seriously considering moving to
>Linux. I'm going to try the install on my new machine today and see how I
>like it.
>
>Rod

If you want to use Linux to run a CNC, you should probably take a look
at EMC:
http://www.linuxcnc.org

It's a full-featured 6-axis machine controller. There are install CDs
available (called BDI, for "Brain-Dead Install"), which install a full
Linux system including the realtime kernel and the machine controller
(and numerous other things normally included in a Linux distribution).
You can also install manually, but this is more involved.

There is a new user interface called AXIS
(http://axis.unpy.net/index.cgi/about), which is mouse operated, does
graphical backplots and toolpath simulation, and looks similar in
functionality to Mach2.

The only thing it doesn't do is CAM - it won't import CAD files and
generate G-code. I'm still researching this aspect of the manufacturing
cycle. (let me know if you have any ideas for that)

- Steve

Discussion Thread

Rod McBeath 2005-01-28 13:15:55 UTC mach2 and linux Codesuidae 2005-01-28 13:34:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mach2 and linux Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-01-28 15:40:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mach2 and linux turbulatordude 2005-01-28 17:47:35 UTC Re: mach2 and linux Jon Elson 2005-01-28 20:19:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: mach2 and linux turbulatordude 2005-01-29 08:18:35 UTC Re: mach2 and linux - Look-Ahead Jon Elson 2005-01-29 13:21:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: mach2 and linux - Look-Ahead ddfalck2002 2005-01-30 10:32:02 UTC mach2 and linux