CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need help with Dyno design

Posted by cnc_4_me
on 2005-02-19 13:49:00 UTC
> I spoke to a list member that is retro-fitting a BOSS with servos.
> on the surface, it seems that the old steppers did work as
Bridgeport
> were run for many years with them.
>
> so, it would seem that just offering drivers to the steppers would
> have been the fastest path to getting things running.
>
> Dave

I could not agree with you more on this. These BOSS machines have
been making parts for 15 years, the steppers must be powerfull
enough. The only problem has been retrofiting with a stepper driver
that can run nema 42 steppers. The last generation of gecko steppers
with a nema 42 jumper has made a differance. From the posts i have
read, these drivers work slightly better that the orignal bridgport
driver. And to me that means nema 42 are practical now, even though
they are still underpowered, even with this drive. What we need to
get the most performance out of these stepers is about 120VDC at 7A.

Wally

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@y...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, R Rogers <rogersmach@y...>
> wrote:
> > I agree, although it would mimic the acceleration and velocity of
> moving a mass such as a machine table or gantry. Acceleration could
> be adjusted in the software. If the test revealed that the load
could
> not be accelerated to speed, the continual torque at set velocity
> would be irrelevant. So, actually it would be a device to measure
the
> acceleration of a specified load in a predetermined duration.
> >
> > Ron
>

> Interesting, as you could set a slow ramping speed, say over 12
> inches or more, and then see where the motor misses. ie:
increasing
> load.
>
> run a fast speed to test acceleration.
>
> In my review of plasma machines, it seems that many first timers
use
> surplus steppers that are of questionalble power, then want more,
so
> move to servo's that are 10x the power.
>
> then curse the steppers and praise the servos.
>
> If one were to follow Mariss's advise and calculate the power
needed,
> then one would know before hand the size steppers and the expected
> performance.
>
> I spoke to a list member that is retro-fitting a BOSS with servos.
> on the surface, it seems that the old steppers did work as
Bridgeport
> were run for many years with them.
>
> so, it would seem that just offering drivers to the steppers would
> have been the fastest path to getting things running.
>
> Dave

Discussion Thread

cnc_4_me 2005-02-19 03:17:24 UTC Need help with Dyno design R Rogers 2005-02-19 05:23:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help with Dyno design turbulatordude 2005-02-19 07:06:37 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design Steve Stallings 2005-02-19 07:28:41 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design turbulatordude 2005-02-19 07:45:46 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design R Rogers 2005-02-19 08:02:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need help with Dyno design turbulatordude 2005-02-19 08:12:40 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design cnc_4_me 2005-02-19 13:16:53 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design cnc_4_me 2005-02-19 13:27:09 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-02-19 13:29:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need help with Dyno design R Rogers 2005-02-19 13:36:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need help with Dyno design cnc_4_me 2005-02-19 13:49:00 UTC Re: Need help with Dyno design