CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: VSD's and Line Reactors

Posted by washcomp
on 2005-04-06 10:24:34 UTC
Jim,

The load side reactor is generally used if the VFD is far from the
motor. It is also used to "clean up" the signal, on a short run, if
you are using a non-invertor duty motor. The line side reactor is
used to clean the signal comming into the drive (and clean any
transients which may be created by the drive which may affect other
devices on the same distribution network).

For a drive your size, they should each fit in a box 1/2 the size of
a shoe box. They should be matched to your drive/motor combination
as far as number of henries inductance. You should look at the
distributor's catalog for the specs. or call the tech support guys at
either the drive manufacturer or the distributor. Another good idea
is to put an EMI filter (like those made by Corcom as an example) in
front of the line reactor (or drive if you decide not to use the
reactor). Once you find the proper size, you might want to call
Dealer's Motors in Brooklyn, N.Y. (Brooklyn Navy Yard). I picked
mine up on E-Bay from them and they were cheap. Usually these
puppies are expensive, but if you plead poverty, Dealers may have
some "new" surplus units that they can cut a deal on.

Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jimkunzweiler"
<jimkunzweiler@h...> wrote:

> > I'm looking for a low cost VSD for a 3/4 HP 3ph motor for use on
my
> 9"
> > lathe.
> >
> > AutomationDirect has a 1hp unit for under $200 but 'highly
recomends'
> > Line Reactor. The Line Reactor is about the same price as the
VSD.

> > My questions are.
> >
> > Is a Line Reactor a good feature or not needed in a home shop.
We
> have
>

> Dave
> Line / load reactors are generally recommended by drive mfg for
wiring
> runs of greater than 100'and motors >20hp. If you keep the drive
close
> to the motor you shouldn't need one.

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2005-04-06 09:02:20 UTC VSD's and Line Reactors jimkunzweiler 2005-04-06 09:49:48 UTC Re: VSD's and Line Reactors Jon Elson 2005-04-06 10:13:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VSD's and Line Reactors washcomp 2005-04-06 10:24:34 UTC Re: VSD's and Line Reactors turbulatordude 2005-04-06 12:15:57 UTC Re: VSD's and Line Reactors STAN MCDONALD 2005-04-06 13:58:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VSD's and Line Reactors