CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only

on 2005-04-26 07:24:40 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "design1618" <afrench@s...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Can you help me sift through the web to design a CNC router for wood
> only as fast as possible? What's the most bug-free, simple, fast,
> reliable way to start making sawdust?
>
> Machine should hold +/- .003"
> z axis 4"
> x axis 10"
> y axis 36"
>
> I've got ball screws for x and y.
>
> I'm a mechanical engineering/design student - and work hard as hell
> once I get on the right track. I've got 24 hr. access to a machine
> shop that I have a good deal of experience in, though CNC is
> relatively new. I'd appreciate your reccommendations on everything
> from favorite software, steppers, hardware, linear bearings, the works.
>
> This is for a very interesting art/design project that will produce
> beautiful custom sledge-hammer handles when complete. Heads are
> sandcast bronze! The post with the best advice will, of course, get a
> nice hickory handle in the mail.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adam
>
> afrench@s...

Hi Adam,

There is fast, then there is cheap. it's hard to get both.

The 80/20 (product name) is extruded aluminum that bolts together
easily, but costs $$$

Depending on what you have access to would depend on your frame.

With the long and narrow table, It seems you may have the idea of
putting in a 4th axis for turning the parts. Not much to add.

Also, the 36 inch is pretty short. I use 36 inch handles on my stuff.
if you want to have a finished part that is 36 inches, you will need
to allow the table to move more than that. Also, you sled for the
gantry will not be zero lenght, but at least one bearing, maybe two.

If I was looking for fast and cheap, I'd use some channel or box
tubing and bolt it together.

make a frame as the base, mount the linear rails under and make
another box for the gantry. drive with a screw under the frame.

Then do the same for the gantry.

It really depends on what materials you can get fast or cheap.

Dave

Discussion Thread

design1618 2005-04-26 06:27:40 UTC What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only JCullins 2005-04-26 06:57:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only turbulatordude 2005-04-26 07:24:40 UTC Re: What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Robert Campbell 2005-04-26 08:13:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only turbulatordude 2005-04-26 11:02:56 UTC Re: ...to build a CNC router .. axis length Jeff Goldberg 2005-04-26 11:22:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: Drying wood was: Re: ...to build a CNC router .. axis length Blue 2005-04-27 16:14:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Alex Holden 2005-04-28 03:29:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Michael Wood, Cincinnati 2005-04-28 07:03:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Blue 2005-04-28 16:19:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Alex Holden 2005-04-29 00:37:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Blue 2005-04-30 07:19:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only