CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only

Posted by Blue
on 2005-04-30 07:19:25 UTC
Hi Alex,

> Blue wrote:
> > I read the book last night and cannot disagree with what you say on one
> > level, but still stand by my comment below as the answer to the original
> > question. It is the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for
> > woodwork.
>
> My biggest complaint with it is that it wasn't advertised as a step by
> step guide to building a CNC woodworking router (if it had been I
> wouldn't have bought it). Re-reading the blurb now after having read the
> book, I can see where I should have read between the lines and guessed
> what it was really about, but the first time I read it I was taken in by
> the hyperbole. The blurb seems to imply that more than one kind of
> machine is covered, including ones that are useful for metalwork. It
> also includes the words "A complete course in workshop bot design and
> construction" which is clearly untrue. Probably the publisher's fault,
> not the author's. Ironically I suspect somebody who actually wanted step
> by step instructions for building a DIY CNC woodworking router would be
> equally confused by the title and the blurb.

I also bought the book for the same reasons as you and was at first
disappointed. It was only on reflection I have reached the conclusion that
it answers the original question of this post. Most of the people who ask a
question of this sort are complete beginners and have their experise in
other areas. Building a CNC is a means to an end and they want a machine up
and running quickly with little cost. This book fits the bill but I would
say it would be a waste of time and money, apart from the interest value, to
anyone who know what they are doing. There is nothing that gets up my nose
more than buying something that isn't as advertised and this book fits
firmly into that catagory. Having said that this guy built a 7' x 4' machine
for wood routing using motors that are considered too small and acme screws.

Regards,

Terry

Discussion Thread

design1618 2005-04-26 06:27:40 UTC What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only JCullins 2005-04-26 06:57:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only turbulatordude 2005-04-26 07:24:40 UTC Re: What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Robert Campbell 2005-04-26 08:13:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only turbulatordude 2005-04-26 11:02:56 UTC Re: ...to build a CNC router .. axis length Jeff Goldberg 2005-04-26 11:22:08 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: Drying wood was: Re: ...to build a CNC router .. axis length Blue 2005-04-27 16:14:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Alex Holden 2005-04-28 03:29:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Michael Wood, Cincinnati 2005-04-28 07:03:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Blue 2005-04-28 16:19:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Alex Holden 2005-04-29 00:37:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only Blue 2005-04-30 07:19:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What's the fastest, cheapest way to build a CNC router for wood only