CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo drives- Mariss Rutex PID and Tuning with a O-Scope

on 2005-05-17 16:37:08 UTC
The encoder output (Velocity) would be "integrated" over time to derive
a position.

Plotting the position over time (O-scope or other real-time strip
recorder) will show the servo settle/under/overshoot characteristics.

Settle time is one aspect (optimal settle time has some overshoot),
Some applications may not tolerate overshoot and would prefer slower
approach to the final position (less optimal settle time, less
overshoot)

Poor (excessive) feedback gain (P & I terms?) can cause divergent
oscillations, (overcompensating builds up, hunting grows, hit the
E-stop.)

In some applications(rotary) encoder error can accumulate and must be
accounted for.

Usually,(theory) a step function is the std stimulus and optimal PID
params can be derived from the response from this std stimulus.

Some sophisticated control systems will model this response in a
DSP(real-time) and can derive instantaneous position with an open loop
motor (closed loop is modeled in DSP) usually there is an fail-safe
index. (not usually in milling applications)