CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: how to safely stall a DC motor

Posted by Lance Hopper
on 2005-05-18 15:10:22 UTC
One of these days I'm going to have to learn about PIC's and all the
cool things you can do with them. However, for the time being, I
think the relay and resistor idea seems to be the easiest for me.

I'm still open to ideas though...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@a...>
wrote:
> Hi Lance,
>
> In the past I've considered making a tool changer for my Sherline
or EMCO 5"
> lathe. I got a peek at the EMCO tool changer.
>
> Sounds like you need a small circuit with a PIC (or BASIC stamp).
You will
> have rotate forward at full power (24v) until the position is
sensed, then
> rotate backwards a short time (again at 24v), then drop the power
(2v) and
> hold it.
>
> I don't think you need PWM, although it COULD be done that way.
Low duty
> [...]
reduce
> the holding current.
>
> I suggest using a circuit similar to that in K158, which will drive
a small
> bipolar stepper motor. You only need the 1/2 of the transistor
section, and
> the D-latch. This will control current in one winding, (your
motor). This
> gives you reversible control of a winding (motor).
>
> http://kitsrus.com/kits2.html
>
> What is still needed is way to reduce the current. Quick and
dirty, use a
> relay contact to short out a series resistor in the motor supply
line for
> full current. Holding current would be with the resistor in the
circuit.
> The opto isolators are a good idea. A simple transistor can drive
the
> relay. It might also be possible to "parallel" the forward
elements of the
> H-bridge, and turn on both forward elements to give full power, and
only one
> for holding (bottom transistor of one side, top transistor of the
other
> side).
>
> PWM generated by a PIC could control the duty cycle, although this
circuit
> does not allow for it. Logic would have to be added to "AND" the
gate
> signals with the PWM signal.
>
> The PIC or Stamp would need a simple (?) program.
>
> OR,
>
> As you suggest, drive a DPDT relay to set direction. Use two
additional
> relays, (one with a series resistor to limit current) to both turn
on and
> set the power of the motor. Drive them with the PIC. You'll need
an input
> to the PIC to tell it to go to the next position, and probably two
opto
> sensors. One to detect "on station", and another possibly to
detect Tool
> #1.
>
> Look for a PIC or BASIC stamp experimenter's kit.
>

> Alan KM6VV
>

> > Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor
> >
> > I'm in the process of completely retrofitting an Emco Turn 120
cnc
> > lathe. It's got an 8 position tool turret on a ratchet mechanism,
> > driven by a small DC gearmotor (24VDC ~15watts) through a worm
gear.

> > In operation, the motor spins the turret forward until the
proper
> > tool location is found (a small sensor board senses each position)
> > then the motor reverses and then stalls out holding the ratchet
pawl
> > into the ratchet teeth. This in conjuction with the gearmotor and
> > worm drive help to hold the turret in postion during machining.
Far
> > from ideal I know, but at this point I want to make the existing
> > setup work rather than redesigning/rebuilding the whole tool
turret.

> > I've found somebody that has my same machine, but in working
> > order, and has verified that the motor sees 24VDC while in forward
> > operation, and 2VDC while in reverse/stall. From the manual they
> > show a basic H-bridge circuit that drives the motor but virtually
no
> > details. At this point we are guessing that the motor is driven
with
> > PWM and the 2V we see is about a %10 duty cycle average voltage
etc...

> > So, how do I go about controlling the direction and current of
> > this 24V 15watt motor, such that it will see 24V and full current
> > during turret indexing, but then be able to reverse and remain
> > stalled for LONG periods of time without burning itself out?
> >
> > Would it be feasible to simply control the motor with a DPDT
relay
> > that supplies 24VDC for forward operation, and then supply 5VDC
and a
> > resistor of some value for reverse/stall operation?
> >
> > I'm not an electronics guru, so designing and building a
circuit
> > would be very time consuming and difficult for me. I'll be
> > controlling everything with Mach 2. Thanks for any advice.

Discussion Thread

Lance Hopper 2005-05-18 09:52:47 UTC how to safely stall a DC motor Alex Holden 2005-05-18 10:17:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor Alan Marconett 2005-05-18 12:41:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor Lance Hopper 2005-05-18 15:10:22 UTC Re: how to safely stall a DC motor Jon Elson 2005-05-18 21:37:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor Les Newell 2005-05-19 01:14:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor Lance Hopper 2005-05-19 05:27:15 UTC Re: how to safely stall a DC motor Alex Holden 2005-05-19 05:54:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: how to safely stall a DC motor Alex Holden 2005-05-19 06:02:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: how to safely stall a DC motor doug98105 2005-05-19 06:03:17 UTC Re: how to safely stall a DC motor Les Newell 2005-05-19 06:58:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: how to safely stall a DC motor Jon Elson 2005-05-19 08:05:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor Alan Marconett 2005-05-19 08:19:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] how to safely stall a DC motor