CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity

Posted by Drew Rogge
on 2005-07-12 07:51:15 UTC
Hi Scott,

I was thinking about this last night and if you can do the final
adjustment for perpendicularity after you've mounted a spindle I
think I have a way for you to zero in your machine.

The idea is to use the machine to mill two adjacent sides of say
a 1/4" thick 2' square aluminum plate. Then flip the plate over,
front for back, about X axis and indicate the milled edge parallel
with the X axis. If you then use the Y axis to run an indicator
along the other milled edge, the total reading you get will be
twice the error in perpendicularity. Adjust the Y axis until you
get a total indicator reading of half the original reading and
the Y should be at 90 degrees to the X. I would then mill the
edges again and repeat the test to check the results. If there's
still a bit of error you can repeat the adjustment until you're
satisfied with the results.

Hope this is clear enough.

Drew