CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity

Posted by Scott Riddle
on 2005-07-08 06:01:02 UTC
I have not heard of Shars yet. I jumped on their web site and they
have some attractivly priced items.
I might try setting up with a small square I have initiall but
leave myself open for small adjustments as I use the table.
Thanks for the reply.
Scott

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Watts"
<leswatts@a...> wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> I use a large 24" machinist's square and an indicator.
>
> SHARS used to sell these in accuracy class H in a fitted wooden
case
> for only $99. I have lab grade granite surface plates and granite
square to
> check
> these on and found them quite accurate...within tenths. You have to
> carefully control
> temperature to measure such things. I bought several.
>
> I checked their site to get a link for you but they seem to be out
of stock.
> J&L has them but the price is $250 and they are advertised as only
workshop
> grade...
> much poorer perhaps.
>
> You can play games with Pythagorus and such or generate three sets
of
> precise squares
> if you have a very accurate surface plate but it takes a lot of
time.

> Hmm....no economical large squares out there...I have thoughts of
making
> some for sale. Perhaps 24x36" or 36x 48"? Class H? I could do
that...
> but surely not for $100. Not $1000 or something like a Starrett
either.

> Leslie M.Watts
> L M Watts Furniture
> Tiger Georgia
> (706) 212-0242
>
> Main page:
> http://www.lmwatts.com
> Engineering:
> http://www.lmwatts.com/shop.html
> Cnc surplus for sale:
> http://www.lmwatts.com/forsale.html
> Carved signs:
> http://www.lmwatts.com/signwp.html

perpendicularity

> I am looking to put together my own home built CNC machine with
> linear rails and ball screws onto a heavy tube frame. I am trying
> figure out how to drive the main X axis which will move a gantry
> over the table. I am contemplating using 2 ball screws(smaller
ones)
> to drive each set of trucks. This way I can assure no racking
> problems and have increased machine stiffness. My main questions is
> if I go to the 2 screw system and I am using stepper motors how do
> initially when build this machine get my X and Y axis
perpendicular?
> Assuming that each X and Y rail setup is straight to start with.
>
> Basically can I measure perpendicularity on a 3' x 3' linear rail
> setup with something like indicators. I do not have access to any
> large right angle plates or things like that. I would think that
> there would be some clever way to measure this.
>
> I used to design machine tools for several years so I know all the
> basics but when we did this setup part it was all done with a
laser.

> Thanks
> Scott

> timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Scott Riddle 2005-07-07 06:58:57 UTC Home built machine setup, perpendicularity turbulatordude 2005-07-07 08:15:16 UTC Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity JanRwl@A... 2005-07-07 12:24:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Leslie Watts 2005-07-07 15:40:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity cnc002@a... 2005-07-07 15:42:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Jim Colley 2005-07-07 17:11:02 UTC Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity R Rogers 2005-07-07 18:23:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity turbulatordude 2005-07-07 18:47:14 UTC Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Scott Riddle 2005-07-08 06:01:02 UTC Re: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity David A. Frantz 2005-07-08 11:34:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Jon Elson 2005-07-08 19:07:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Leslie Watts 2005-07-09 14:13:33 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Drew Rogge 2005-07-12 07:51:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built machine setup, perpendicularity Elliot Burke 2005-07-13 09:50:56 UTC re:RE: Home built machine setup, perpendicularity