CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s

Posted by thecalfees
on 2005-07-13 23:28:57 UTC
Steve,

The Gecko 320 is not compatible with brushless servo motors, it is
designed to drive a brushed DC motor with a TTL digital quadrature
encoder.

Although it will not drive your 4'x8' plasma table without
considerable gearing, I have used the Surplus Center
(www.surpluscenter.com) Item# 10-1834 DC brushed motor to initally
check out the Gecko 320 operation. This motor includes a mounted
200 pulse per revolution encoder, is pretty inexpensive at $12.99
(plus shipping) and would allow you to "practice" wiring and setting
up the drives with your breakout board and software before getting
into the mechanics of your project. It is rated at 24V so you would
need an appropriate DC power supply for testing. My motor pulls
about 4 amps at 24V when the motor is stalled by hand. The encoder
on my motor has four leads Red (+5V), Green (Gnd), Yellow (phaseA),
and White (phaseB).

Good luck with your project!

Gary

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <s_hight@y...> wrote:
> I am putting together my first CNC project and I have been scouring
> ebay looking for a couple of DC servo motors to use with my G320's
> from our friends at geckodrive.com.
>
> What type of motors do I NOT want? I see a lot of info on CNC
> conversions with the G320's, good info on sizing of a motor, but
> I am
> looking for the "Top 10 ways to get stuck with a motor you
> can't use
> for your project" list.
>
> I know I can put an encoder on most motors if needed. What about
> brush vs. brushless? Any brands to avoid?
>
> The project is a 4'x8' plasma cutter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Discussion Thread

Steve 2005-07-13 07:27:23 UTC Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s R Rogers 2005-07-13 08:06:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s Les Newell 2005-07-13 14:33:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s Les Newell 2005-07-13 14:40:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s thecalfees 2005-07-13 23:28:57 UTC Re: Advise on motor selection for use with G320’s