CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion

on 2005-08-12 21:26:30 UTC
Thanks Jon,

>As I understand in, Mach(x) syncs up to the spindle once for each
>pass, and assumes the spindle speed won't change when the cut
>begins. If you need precision threads, that may not be good enough.

I was wondering about the one-sense-per-rev thing with Mach2 myself.
Seems like not much for timing, but, I believe with plenty of
horsepower, or by reducing RPM it may be sufficient????

> Just remove the compound entirely. You'll never need it with CNC.
>You
> can get some really nice tool turrets that fit in their place.
>Take a look
> at a Barruffaldi tool turret if you need something to lust after.

Good info, thanks....

Eric

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
> pondindustrial wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I recently purchased a Victor-1640B (16" Swing, 40" Centers, 32-
2000-
> >RPM, 7.5hp) manual lathe. I'm interested in converting this lathe
> >CNC very soon. Question is, where do I start? This lathe will be
used
> >primarily for threading, if that makes any difference!
> >
> >Specifically, I want to know the best method/s of driving the
> >carriage & cross slide from those who have experience in lathe
> >conversions. Should I use the lead screw and engage the half nuts
for
> >CNC allowing manual control when desired, or replace it with a
ball
> >screw with a zero backlash double ball-nut?
> >
> If you expect to use it much in the CNC mode, I would go for a ball
screw
> retrofit. If the threading screw was used for all CNC motions, it
would
> wear
> very quickly.
>
> > Since the unit will be
> >CNC, is it even feasible to power the compound slide?
> >

> Just remove the compound entirely. You'll never need it with CNC.
You
> can get some really nice tool turrets that fit in their place.
Take a look
> at a Barruffaldi tool turret if you need something to lust after.
>
> >My experience: I own a 72"x72" CNC plasma table which I built a
> >couple of years ago using Gecko drives, Mach2, ballscrews, and
> >servomotors. Given that, I prefer to use Gecko drives and Mach2
again
> >since I haven't experienced any trouble with either and
furthermore,
> >I'm now very familiar with both products.
> >

> As I understand in, Mach(x) syncs up to the spindle once for each
> pass, and assumes the spindle speed won't change when the cut
> begins. If you need precision threads, that may not be good enough.
>
> Of course, the competition (EMC) doesn't handle threads yet, so
that's
> not a good choice.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

pondindustrial 2005-08-12 19:27:23 UTC Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion turbulatordude 2005-08-12 20:06:40 UTC Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion pondindustrial 2005-08-12 20:17:31 UTC Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion Jon Elson 2005-08-12 21:01:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion pondindustrial 2005-08-12 21:26:30 UTC Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion art 2005-08-13 09:09:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion art 2005-08-13 09:13:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion turbulatordude 2005-08-13 09:43:31 UTC Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion -THREADING art 2005-08-14 10:32:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion -THREADING Fred Smith 2005-08-15 08:09:49 UTC Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion -THREADING