CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Manual to CNC Lathe Conversion -THREADING

Posted by art
on 2005-08-14 10:32:36 UTC
Dave:

>>> This would be based on final part accuacy, no ?
>
> I mean that if there was a slow, the software would try to catch up
> and be either dead on the next pulse, or too short or too far.
>
> Assuming it was dead on, that would mean that at least on thread was off.
>
> It would go back to the old saying, accracy costs money, how accurate
> can you afford to be ?
>
> I think in practice, this is more of a problem in rough cuts and
> finish cuts should not see deviations is alignment.

Yes, this is all based on final part accuracy. Most who use MAch3 use a
simple test, does the nut thread on nicely? If so, it is declared a good
thread. As I said, I suspect Boeing woudl fine the threads deviant in one
way or another, we just found that almost any lathe can cut a thread with
little slowdown on the spindle if any. Lets face it, the spindle of a lathe
is not very stressed with a thread. (If it is, I woudl recommend another
motor or a lighter volume pass. ). Mach3 threads are volumetric, so once you
find a good first pass, the remaining passes take the same amoutn of
material, so the drag is, or should be, the same..

Thanks,
Art
www.artofcnc.ca