CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut

Posted by John Johnson
on 2005-09-13 05:27:07 UTC
You could also use an Atmel AT90mega8535 microcontroller. It has 8
channel 10 bit ADC, PWM output, etc. It can also be reprogrammed in
circuit. C, BASIC, Assembly and probably other languages are available.
http://tinyurl.com/aqm57
They're also quite cheap, $5.70 from Digi-Key.
http://tinyurl.com/ay4l2

Regards,
JJ

On 12-Sep-2005, at 19:28, Mcginnis, Darrell S wrote:

> It appeared that the manual had all the theory of operation that one
> would need to conceptually construct an interpolator from linear
> (sine/Cosine) scales.
>
> The implementation inferred is to digitize sine and cosine, then
> multiply them together(read the part that mentions arctan) yielding a
> larger numeric range than just the digitizing allows. Implementation
> must throw away enough numeric noise to ensure not dropping steps on
> reasonable inputs. (or provide means to produce extra steps when a
> missing step is noticed.)
>
> A discrete HW implementations could be:
> use two ADC 8 bit converters to generate a 16 bit address to a ROM;
> Program the ROM to output an absolute rotational position (based on
> arctan, like 16 bits wide?)
> Have an up/down counter increment or decrement to track the absolute
> position from the rom (ROM data and counter feed a comparator that
> indicates inc/dec/nop). QUadrature is generated from up/down count
> events.... (width of the ROM and up/down counter should match; and
> number of unique rotational positions the ROM is programmed with
> dictates how much interpolation is done)
>
> Added logic probably needs to handle wrap conditions.
> One could through away the tracking counter if inputs are clean enough
> and/or you through away some precision and avoid possibility of missed
> steps...
>
> Depending on speed of ADC and a cpu, the algorithm can be SW...

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

Discussion Thread

protman16 2005-09-06 10:55:15 UTC Looking for scale interprolator circut cstrudwicke@o... 2005-09-06 16:43:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut Jon Elson 2005-09-06 18:20:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut cstrudwicke@o... 2005-09-06 21:04:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut Jon Elson 2005-09-06 21:25:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut craig strudwicke 2005-09-07 02:41:34 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut Jon Elson 2005-09-07 09:09:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut bazer_20002000 2005-09-07 11:57:55 UTC Re: Looking for scale interprolator circut protman16 2005-09-07 13:05:38 UTC Re: Looking for scale interprolator circut th.carel 2005-09-08 06:18:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut Mariss Freimanis 2005-09-10 17:11:53 UTC Re: Looking for scale interprolator circut Mcginnis, Darrell S 2005-09-12 16:28:07 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut John Johnson 2005-09-13 05:27:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for scale interprolator circut