CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cnc/copy mill teach

Posted by art
on 2005-09-17 19:52:52 UTC
Hi Steve:

>>...Would you mind telling us briefly , what be the advantage of Mach3 over
>>Mach2?

Mach3 was an evolution of Mach2. Mach2's internals were getting very
complex and hard to work on.As a self-taught programmer I suffer from all
sorts of bad programming practices. As a result, Mach2 was getting
impossible to upgrade with the additional features people were asking for.
Mach3 is a huge cleanup from Mach2. Classes were re-organised, code made
much more efficient, and alot of additional features were added. ModBus,
Serial inputs, MPG shuttle and velocity modes, a new VB script engine and
autodebugger was licensed, much tighter lathe support with CSS, threading
wizards, better conversational capability, ability to call external program
code and dialogs from scripts, macropumps for user background logic, TCP
integration for future use, additional GCode support (Coordinate
rotation,CSS,etc..) , Screwmapping, Formula correction of axis commands,
Turning Tip compensation, advanced lookahead radius compensation, quite a
list really. Mach3 requires a bit more power as a result of all the
additions ( 1ghz recommended ), and the documentation for it will be a month
or two yet before it starts to all get documented.
The video's will continue to point out the new features as we go.

As to the lockups you may have gotten in the teach wizard and such, ensure
you stay current with new versions of Mach3, so many are now using it since
its release that new bugs and crash causes are begin found all the time and
the latest version get more stable every few days. Great responces are
coming in now of multi-day programs being run with no troubles, so I think
Mach3 is over that hump and headed for full stability, which usually takes a
couple of months after a major release. The new VB engine caused some
trouble, but we seem to have most of it under control now. Mach3 is also
made simpler by its new screen layouts, which allow for more gradual
learning curve. As its a free upgrade , theres a lot of new users of it
every day now, and the bugs reports are slowing daily, so I think we're
almost there..

Thanks,
Art
www.artofcnc.ca