CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-06-23 22:37:52 UTC
Darrell wrote:

> My experience has been that a manual knee mill is worth more as a
> manual than it is after it has been converted. Look for a NC/CNC mill
> with a bad control (there are lots out there) and sell the manual.

Like I just did. Millport with ballscrews, auto lube, auto spindle
brake, #30 taper, $2500. It's up and running on my Ahha software and
Compumotor amps already. It'll interpolate a hole round enough I'd have
to get serious with inspection to measure the deviation. Can't ask for
more from a 20 year old machine.
The hard part is the wiring, I've bypassed everything including limit
switches to get some work out the door (besides, it's original control
didn't differentiate between +/- limits, any switch just shut the whole
think down, need to separate them). Need to get spindle start/stop going
under software control with brake interlocked properly, and a manual
spindle start and manual brake override. For an electronics weenie, this
is hairy stuff.... However, I can work on the controls on the side, and
finish off the integration when everything works right.

The machine cost less than ball screws, a quill drive, motors, and a
quick change R-8 adapter, and I saved all the labor. These machines are
out there. Try calling around, some shops just sort of forget obsolete
machines until they need the floor space. You come along interested, and
you might get a deal.

Jon Elson 2000-06-23 16:24:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews Doug Harrison 2000-06-23 16:52:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews JanRwl@A... 2000-06-23 18:22:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews Darrell 2000-06-23 21:42:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews Jon Anderson 2000-06-23 22:37:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews johndroc@a... 2000-06-25 11:13:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help Needed, Ballscrews