CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: HI NEED HELP

Posted by Fred Howe
on 2005-11-21 16:52:16 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "saullios" <liosnava@h...> wrote:

> WE HAVE A BRIDGEPORT CNC 1
> AND CAN'T COMUNICATE THIS WHIT A PC WHAT CAN I DO
>
> I AM A MEXICAN AND SPEAK SMALL ENGLISH

It does not appear that anyone answered your request, so I will try to
help you. There are settings you must make with both your machine and
your PC. If you use Windows(at least up to Windows 98, but especially
Windows 3.1), you can use the "Terminal" program, which is a terminal
emulation that can talk to your Bridgeport, with the correct settings.
If you are not using Windows on your PC, there are DOS based Terminal
emulation programs. I'm sure that Linux has the same sort of program.
I will assume you have the Windows terminal emulation program
"Terminal". Settings for similar programs will be the same.
1. Open the program and find "settings", open it
2. Click on Terminal Emulation and choose TTY, click OK to close
3. Click on Terminal Preferences and choose the following settings:
Columns = 80 Cursor, Block (and) Blink Terminal Font = FixedSys
Font size = 15 Buffer Lines = 100 Terminal Mode - (leave blank)
CR>CR/LF (leave blank) Mark "Use Scroll Bars" and "Use Function Keys"
Close by clicking OK
4. Open "Text transfer", under Flow Control, check "character at a
time" ; under "Delay between Characters" put in 1/10th second
Click "OK" to close
5.Open "Binary Transfers" and click "Xmodem", close with OK
6. Open "Communications", set the following: Baud Rate = 2400,
Data Bits = 8 Stop Bits =1 Parity - none Flow Control - XonXoff
Connector - COM 2
Parity check - (leave blank) Carrier Detect - (leave blank)
Close by clicking Ok.
7. Select FILES and click on "SAVE AS.." Give the file a name like
BRDGPORT.TRM (for Bridgeport Terminal) and click OK.
*Whenever you open the terminal program, it will load the parameters
you have saved. If you change the parameters, be sure to save them.

Next you must make sure that your machine is set correctly to receive
the files. To do this, you must open the cabinet on the side of the
machine which has the control electronics (not the cabinet on the back).
1. Remove the two retaining bars that hold the cards in the rack.
2. Locate the board which has the label "ERS" above it, located at the
right hand end of the card rack. There should be four connectors
plugged into the edge of the board, one of them may already be
unplugged. Unplug them and remove the board. Use the "handles" at the
top and bottom edge to pull the board out.
3. If your board looks dirty and greasy, you should take the time to
clean it, and also consider cleaning the other boards as well. You can
use circuit board cleaner, which is a nasty, hazardous chemical, or
soap and water and an old toothbrush. If you use soap and water, run
water on the board (DO NOT SOAK THE BOARD IN WATER), then use some
liquid dish detergent and the toothbrush to remove the dirt from both
sides of the board(s). All of the boards are labeled, so you can
safely remove them from the machine and you will be able to identify
them later. Be VERY careful when you clean the component side of the
board, do not move the small capacitors (round disks with two leads)
as they can break loose easily. Be sure to scrub along the sides of
the larger integrated circuits, especially at the lower edge of the
board, because that is where the most dirt will be.
After washing a board, rinse it thoroughly, then you can blow it dry
with cool air, but do not hold the air gun close to the board. You can
also stand the board on edge and allow it to air-dry overnight. DO NOT
BLOW AIR DIRECTLY ON ANY COMPONENT THAT MAY NOT BE SEALED, LIKE THE
SWITCHES, ANY COMPONENT THAT SEEMS TO BE ADJUSTABLE OR HAS A COVER.
When the board is dry, inspect it for dirt that you may have
overlooked. Dirt will appear as gray smudges on the board.
4. When the board is clean, locate the small set of switches near the
bottom inside corner of the board. It is a small black block with 8
small white switches and may or may not have a cover over it. It will
be easier to see the switches if you rotate the board so that the
block is in the upper right corner. Look carefully at the switches,
notice the "ON" and "OFF" positions. You need to set the switches as
follows: Switches #4 and #8 ON, all others OFF. This will set the Baud
rate to 2400, which agrees with the terminal program setting. There
are other settings that you may try, which you may be able to find in
your manual. Be sure that both the machine and the PC terminal program
have the same setting. 2400 is fast enough for most uses. I have used
that speed for many years. Replace the cover over the switches, if
there is one.
5. Place the board back in the slot marked ERS. The components must
face to the left, or the board will not match with its connectors at
the back of the cage. You may have to "wiggle" the board to make it
slide into its connectors. When it is all the way in, the white
plastic handles at the top and bottom of the board will lay flat.
6. Replace the 3 small wire connectors onto the mating receptacles at
the middle of the edge of the board (K6, K7, K8) but DO NOT put the
larger one (K10)into its receptacle. (K10 is at the bottom)
7. Replace any other boards you removed, and install the two retaining
bars. Check your air filter and close up the machine. Turn on your
machine and allow it to warm up for at least one hour to make sure all
the boards are dry. A wet board may cause a problem.
If you have the proper cable, you are now ready to communicate with
your machine. If you do not have the proper cable, send me an e-mail
at mercat@... and I will reply with instructions to
make a cable.
I will assume you have the proper cable. Make sure it is plugged into
your PC's COM2 port, and the CNC machine's LOCAL port ((DO NOT use the
"remote" port) and the machine is powered up.
1. Open Terminal on your PC. This will bring up the editor screen. You
must have the CAPS LOCK ON, you cannot use lower case letters. At your
CNC, place the machine in Setup mode and turn the switch to "EDIT" and
press it. On the screen of your PC you should have the message "BOSS
5 INPUT" (or Boss 6, or Boss ??) You should now be able to enter your
program. At the end of each line hit "enter", at the end of the
program, press "ctrl-Z". "CTRL-Z is the command to end the
communication with the machine. All of the commands and key codes you
need for entering and editing your program are in the machine
operator's manual. The older versions of the BOSS software will not
accept certain characters, especially the letter "O". Do not enter any
comments or any code except the actual program. To keep the program
short, you may omit line numbers. I only number the lines that contain
the tool changes, and I give the line the same number as the tool. It
makes it easier to "find" in the program. If you are not sure what I
mean, send me your questions.
2. To edit a program that is in the machine, place the CNC in setup
and press the EDIT button. If your PC is in TERMINAL mode, your screen
will say "BOSS 5 EDIT"
3. You may now make changes to the text of your program. You may not
use the scrolling keys on your computer to move from line to line. You
must follow the same methods you would use if you were using an actual
"Teletype" terminal. If you do not know them, you can find them in
your machine manual under "editing commands". If you do not have the
editing commands, I can send them to you.
4. You can prepare programs offline with a CAD-CAM program which has a
post processor for your Bridgeport machine, or in any word processing
program, such as "NOTEPAD". There are rukes you must follow to write a
program in a word-processing program, if you do not know how, send me
an e-mail and I will explain the rules. To send a prepared program to
your machine, Open Terminal, and place your machine in "edit" mode. If
you see the message "BOSS 5 EDIT" on your screen, type the letter K
and press enter. This will clear your machine memory. The word "INPUT"
will appear on the terminal screen. Select "TRANSFERS" and use the
menus to find the file you want to load to the machine. Be sure that
the box marked "strip LF" is marked. When you click OK, you should be
able to watch your program load to the machine. If the load is not
completed, there is probably something wrong with your program. The
most common error with programs that are "escribido a mano" is one or
more incorrect characters. Be sure there are no letters "O" in place
of the number ZERO (0). You will have to edit the program in the word
processor and re-save it. When the program is completely loaded, the
TERMINAL should exit the edit mode. (The edit light will be
extinguished on your machine) If this does not happen, you will not be
able to operate your machine. To manually exit from the EDIT mode,
type "CTRL-Z" and "EXIT" will appear on your screen.
5. You may also save programs after they have been run an proven in
your CNC by using the Terminal program Transfers selection and
"Receive Text". You will have to follow the prompts and enter the
correct name and location for the program you are saving. It will
overwrite any previous program you have saved with the same name.

I hope this is helpful to you. Ojala' que eso te ayuda.
If you need more information, please send me an e-mail.
mercat@...
Fred Howe
R Manufacturing Co.
Owego, New York, 13827
USA

Discussion Thread

saullios 2005-11-01 19:06:22 UTC HI NEED HELP Fred Howe 2005-11-21 16:52:16 UTC Re: HI NEED HELP HTCLKI@A... 2005-11-22 13:06:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HI NEED HELP turbulatordude 2005-11-22 15:59:47 UTC Re: HI NEED HELP Stephen Wille Padnos 2005-11-22 16:11:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HI NEED HELP Crs Hawk 2005-11-23 00:26:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HI NEED HELP HTCLKI@A... 2005-11-23 13:24:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: HI NEED HELP