CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where?

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2006-01-08 19:47:32 UTC
Got it to work. Thanks for the help. The wires connected together
did only than and did not connect anywhere else. Now I am in business!

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett <KM6VV@a...> wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> Yes, there is a common on the SIGNAL side of the Gecko drivers.
>
> Are you wiring in series? then the two windings of A are connected in
> series. There is one pair of leads connected together on the A set of
> windings, and on the B set of windings. The connection should be
> carefully insulated, do not connect them together.
>
> You can also connect the windings in parallel.
>
> The point I was making is that you don't have a "center tap" connected
> to anything, like you would if you were wiring for unipolar.
>
> I can get into the Gecko website, but I don't see any white papers!
>

> Keith Clark wrote:
> > Alan,
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried to get to the white papers
> > but the link on the www.geckodrives.com website is not active.
> >
> > I realize how the com is connected to the Campbell board from the
> > geckos. There is a step, dir and com between the Gecko and the
> > Campbell.
> >
> > The question I have is about the 8 wires from the motor. 1 wire is
> > for A phase, 1 for A' abd the next 2 are to be connected together
> > and are called common. Then the next 1 is for B phase and the next
> > B'. Then the next 2 are again connected together and labelled
> > common. That accounts for all 8 wires. I am assuming that the wires
> > connected together are just to be left connected to themselves.
> > Only the other 4 wires for the 4 phases will connect to the Gecko at
> > A,A',B, and B'. Does that sound correct?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Keith Clark
> >

> I'm still not following what you are saying! There are no commons.
>

> Alan KM6VV

Discussion Thread

Keith Clark 2006-01-07 16:15:18 UTC wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Alan Marconett 2006-01-07 19:16:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Keith Clark 2006-01-07 20:00:35 UTC Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Dave Halliday 2006-01-07 20:05:35 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Keith Clark 2006-01-07 20:21:20 UTC Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? notoneleft 2006-01-07 21:41:27 UTC Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Dave Halliday 2006-01-07 22:03:06 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Keith Clark 2006-01-08 04:01:44 UTC Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where Alan Marconett 2006-01-08 14:12:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where? Keith Clark 2006-01-08 19:47:32 UTC Re: wiring geckos to stepper motors - common wires to where?