CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper Motor Winding

Posted by Vlad Krupin
on 2006-02-28 00:20:36 UTC
On 2/25/06, davelandnni <daveland@...> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Building a PCB router/ drill and I have a few questions.
>
> I have some Superior Electric Steppers that are labeled 2.25V 4.6amp
> They are 6 wire motors. I want to hook them up to the Dan Mauch 5amp
> 1/2 step control ( I know 8 micro step controls are better,,, but it is
> laying around).
>
> Should I run them in parallel or series connected bipolar mode?
> I will only be using 24V for the moment (my only supply laying around).
> I think the control is only rated for 36V anyways.
>
> What are my tradeoffs for series as opposed to parallel winding
> connectison?

As far as I know, the tradeoffs are generally not as significant as the
limitations of your controller/power supply. Parallel configuration will
generally require you to supply twice the current, which your driver or
power supply may or may not be able to do. Series configuration will not
require as much current, but you need to provide higher voltage, which,
again, your controller or power supply may or may not be able to provide
(the torque of the stepper motors will drop significantly at higher RPM, if
the voltage is too low).

I've also seen mentioned 1/2 winding mode that only connects one
> winding and leaves the other open... Why do this?

It can be done. That does not necessarily mean there is a good reason for
that in your situation. I can think of very few valid reasons to do so. One
is if you have 'extra' torque to spare, so you do not care whether you use
one winding or two. Some people with a plasma cutter, for example, may find
that useful because relatively little torque is required. Another reason
would be if your controller is incapable of driving more than 1/2 winding
(very beefy motor and weak controller). Other reasons that do not apply to
the CNC world quite as easily, but may have weight in other stepper motor
applications are limited available power or problems with heat dissipation
by the motors.

Thanks

--
Vlad's shop