CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How do I test IC SN74LS541N on PCB?

on 2006-03-01 14:04:12 UTC
If you are at all competent soldering then just replace all 20(?) chips.
You can check for solder bridges with an ohm/diode check on a meter much
faster than checking function of each chip individually.

I think you'd find a heat gun useful for unsoldering in this case.

if you use a simple heat gun with just hot/cold switch, you will want to
start with the gun far away and slowly bring it closer to the device to
be removed ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOARD WHERE JUST THE PINS PROTRUDE
ASSUMING TEHSE ARE THRU_HOLE DIP PACKAGES. (you may want to craft a
funnel to focus the air to a ~1/4" spot)

you'll see the solder melt along all the pins. If you apply light
tension to the device it will just pop out when all the solder goes
liquid.

You can go back with a solder pencil and desolder wick/braid to clean up
excess solder.

The first device might take a minute or two of trial and error. The rest
will go really fast.

When installing new parts be liberal with flux and slightly stingy on
solder. Don't keep feeding solder once there is a good fillet around the
pin, else it will accumulate on the other side of the board and possibly
cause shorts on the top (assumes DIP packages). Solder wick can correct
this if it happens.

Fixing solder shorts is probably safer than excess testing/handling.
If you know there is a problematic design issue you may want to solder
sockets (generally I wouldn't do this, over time DIP sockets are less
reliable).