CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars?

Posted by Jack Hudler
on 2006-04-10 20:49:58 UTC
I looked at the pictures of the base and your concerns about relocating the
motor.
In the picture mill_1_1.jpg; you see that cast partition? Mount you motor there
and turn the ball screw around or get another one custom made from Nook (it's
not as much as you think, besides you have the ball screw, at least it looks
like a Nook BS). You will need to support both ends and you can extend a shaft
for manual operations. This is what I'm planning to do with my RF45, plus the Z
axis drive. Total motor stealth! Now I just need to figure out how to hide the X
axis motor.

Ventilation can be a 100 CFM fan and a metal filter for catching coolant and
Teflon snow :). You could use flexible ducting to exhaust to the outside; make
something that fits in a slightly open window.

You could line the inside with a single ply of fiberglass and then paint it
white. It's resilient and you can lap the sides over into the drain pan; no
leaks. You could get ambitious and sandwich some foam board and lay on several
layers of fiberglass for added sound isolation. I would do this outside as I'm
sure your landlady would not want you stinking up the flat.

Maybe they have a woodshop at that college. A table saw for nice straight cuts,
miter the corners, use a dado (don't know the brit term for it) to cut grooves
for shelves. Find a woodworking DIY shop or Amazon and pick up a simple cabinet
making book, then use SolidWorks to draw it up.

Jack Hudler