CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars?

on 2006-04-10 20:50:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Abby Katt <cncgroupnospam@...>
wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but I thought it was a bit
> particular (over say a manual mill where the operator has complete
> control and less severe accidents are likely to happen). I'm looking to
> make a wooden enclosure for my CNC mill as I have to stealthily hide it
> in my (carpetted) lounge. I'm thinking of lining the inside and such
> with metal/plastic to stop it soaking up oil like a biscuit, but was
> wondering what other suggestions (and importantly WARNINGS) you might
> have about making this CNC-safe? Do I need to worry more about
> ventilation/keep minimum distances between the spindle motor and the
> walls? Is
> there anything else I'm not thinking out clearly, like special needs to
> get to components etc?
>
> Anyway, I have a few pics of the basic design so far (and a Solidworks
> file if you want to play with it yourself) on my blog:
> http://www.silverkatt.co.uk/cncmill
>
> Abby

The main thing is fire protection.
it if has tings too close to some combustable, there would be trouble.

I would make sure all the electronical bits and bobs are well protected.

as for the oils, I think that if you considder the bottom of the
enclosure like a small swimming pool.

If you add up all the motors and such, you can get a feel for the
total power consumption. in a close space, it will get warm.
ventilating it into the living space will bring all the fumes from the
oils.

There do not seem to be any big problems, just pay attention to some
of the details.

Dave

Discussion Thread

wanliker@a... 2006-04-10 10:24:48 UTC Windows Question [moderator note] [Mom's note] Abby Katt 2006-04-10 15:53:15 UTC Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars? wanliker@a... 2006-04-10 16:49:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars? Jack Hudler 2006-04-10 20:49:58 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars? turbulatordude 2006-04-10 20:50:26 UTC Re: Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars? Les Newell 2006-04-10 23:49:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Safe/dustless CNC enclosures? Particulars?