CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Maxnc - buy it with the proper documentation only

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2000-07-05 11:05:54 UTC
Message: 19
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:23:57 -0600
From: Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
Subject: Re: Maxnc - buy it with the proper documentation only

Hi Mike,

I too am using the MAXNC. Hey, it's a start! Sounds like you're driving
big things! I also want to add limit switches. I'm just
driving a sherline mill, and I only have the little unipolar MAXNC driver
board. Later I will do step & direction with something
with a little more power. The FET's are fine, I think I still have a few
solid state switches, and thought I would use them.
Actually, I'd like to add CNC speed control to the spindle. Haven't really
planned that out yet.

[The new MaxNC closed loop system has more power, using essentially the
same motors, but with encoders and feedback added. It also has a more
sophisticated spindle speed controller, which allows the speed to be set in
the software, and has added limit switches and a "home" function. ]

Sorry I didn't pick up on the BIOS problems before, If I can help, email!
I'm just getting going here, but I do enjoy solving
computer hardware/software problems. My main worry now is the limited
drive in the Z axis. I had all the gibs out, so hard telling
how well they're adjusted. My vertical was kinda "heavy" before I
converted to CNC. I used Sherlines' CNC kit, love the parts.

Alan

[If you're talking about the MaxNC gibs, what I did was screw all the
setscrews in tight, then backed them off about an eighth of a turn, and
Loctited them into place. Vibration from the motor kept loosening them in
the middle of cutting a part, with noticable results. I'm not sure what you
mean by "limited", in terms of the Z drive, though. And yes- I'd like to
put together some additional documentation for the MaxNC, including the
BIOS issues mentioned above. Any contributions would be welcome.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Mike Rainone 2000-07-04 16:06:40 UTC Maxnc - buy it with the proper documentation only Andrew Werby 2000-07-05 11:05:54 UTC Re: Maxnc - buy it with the proper documentation only