CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 steppers-one axis?

Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:

> Terry,
>
> There should be no problem, just feed the extra Y driver with the SAME
>
> pulses as the current Y (or whatever) you want to duplicate (wire
> motor
> for the same effective rotation).

The problem is you need to keep the motors synchronized. If they are
run
off the same driver, then at least they will always be on the same phase

at the same time. Then, you could tighten the shaft couplings with the
driver turned on, and the motors would be happy to make a pair. If
you use separate step and direction drivers, then there is only a 25 %
chance that they will maintain the same phase relationship as when the
shafts were coupled together the first time. If the coupling is fairly
stiff, and the phasing is different, then the motors will be severely
fighting each other, and neither will be near its resting position for
that
step, but somewhere 1 or 2 steps leading or lagging. This will cause
HORRIBLE loss of torque, and much rattling and stalling. I really
think the results will be much worse that one motor properly driven,
or two motors driven off a driver that can support both.

One other possibility is if you have one step-to-phase converter
driving two phase-input drivers and motors. Then, the motors
would again always have the same electrical phases active.

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-07-12 14:59:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 steppers-one axis? Terry Ackland 2000-07-12 18:07:56 UTC Re: 2 steppers-one axis? Mariss Freimanis 2000-07-12 21:44:16 UTC Re: 2 steppers-one axis? Jon Elson 2000-07-12 22:01:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 steppers-one axis? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-07-13 10:57:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 steppers-one axis? James Cullins 2000-07-13 16:24:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 steppers-one axis?