CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: tooling table ideas

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2006-10-27 06:44:05 UTC
The older commercial machines use thick MDFback board with waste board on
top, something like hardboard, or 3mm mdf.

The idea is the thick board gives a level surface which shouldn't get cut,
and thinner is sacrificial

You have to watch the dust from MDF, but then again PCB dust ain't good for
you.

Newer machines have a base board that is like PCB material but not copper
clad and the drill bits just enter this, the same back board is kept for
that production run.

Then there are taught structures, these use metal frames, the PCB board is
supplied with edge piercings, or are punched for them, these fit the frame
and it is all held taught.

Some even fit a conveyer with multiple drilling heads, the number of holes
grow as the board passes along a bed many meters long until PCB drop down on
the a rubber conveyer as they are routed off the frame.

These machines are amazing to see in operation.

For DIY, mdf, or hardboard are nice cheap options.

Regs Mark

_____