CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Z Axis Conversion

Posted by Mike Phillips
on 2007-02-15 23:05:55 UTC
Sounds like it's time to sell some boards!

I also like that EDM setup. The one broken tap in my whole life I
could not get out, will be revisted due to your EDM page.

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
>
> >That looks exactly like what you did too. How is it holding up? How
> >about the servo amps you made, are they doing ok?
> >

> Well, it was originally TOO close, and the encoder would have been
> partially inside
> the belt housing. So, I had to open up the mounting holes to slots,
> which I really
> didn't want to do. I made the link extra long, because I knew that
such
> an error
> might be possible, and then measured and cut it after the main
assembly fit.
> It has held up very well. One concern was that the link bolts to the
> quill with
> one relatively small bolt (maybe a 3/8 or so) and a small flat spot on
> the quill.
> I worried that this would rock against the quill and eventually turn
> into a hinge.
> That apparently has not happened.
>
> The servo amps are still working. I just converted over from a
Servo-to-Go
> card to my own PPMC interface for analog servos. (Should have done this
> years ago, but I hated to dig into a system that was working! I
finally
> was forced
> to when some kind of software flakiness invaded the 1999 version of EMC.
> I think it may actually have been a chip in the keyboard or something,
> but it
> was time to upgrade.)
>
> I was making a part for a friend and was kibitzing too much, and
left the
> quill just jammed against the upper limit of movement, and blew a couple
> transistors on the Z axis. I yanked the amp under power, swapped
out the
> transistors and popped it back in under power, and never lost the Z axis
> alignment. He was thoroughly impressed that I could do that.
>
> While doing the computer/EMC2/PPMC upgrade, I FINALLY got home switches
> on the machine and wired in, so when I home it, EMC keeps track of
absolute
> machine position and the soft limits, so I can't jam it into the
mechanical
> limits anymore. I always knew that was going to happen one of these
days.

> Jon

Discussion Thread

Mike Phillips 2007-02-14 19:00:45 UTC Z Axis Conversion Polaraligned 2007-02-15 04:04:32 UTC Re: Z Axis Conversion Jon Elson 2007-02-15 10:35:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Z Axis Conversion Mike Phillips 2007-02-15 13:04:56 UTC Re: Z Axis Conversion Mike Phillips 2007-02-15 13:13:46 UTC Re: Z Axis Conversion Jon Elson 2007-02-15 13:45:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Z Axis Conversion Mike Phillips 2007-02-15 15:31:21 UTC Re: Z Axis Conversion Jon Elson 2007-02-15 21:49:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Z Axis Conversion Mike Phillips 2007-02-15 23:05:55 UTC Re: Z Axis Conversion Jon Elson 2007-02-16 10:14:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Z Axis Conversion