CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Tormach

Posted by mikehenryil
on 2007-02-24 07:56:14 UTC
Let's see:

1) The Y-axis coupler was missing on delivery
2) The X-axis limits switch broken during initial testing
3) Some of the tapped holes needed to be chased
4) The mill was out of tram by a significant amount when mounted on
the deluxe stand.
5) A wiring issue in the 110 VAC circuit
6) Spindle shutdown on a rapid speed decrease.
7) A couple of misaligned holes in the chip pan.

Tormach would have replaced the coupler but I bought local to save a
couple of days. They replaced the switch in two days. I chased the
threads with a tap. The wiring issue was covered in a service
bulletin and was a simple fix. The spindle shutdown problem was
fixed by adjusting the decel pot on the VFD board. The misaligned
holes just needed a few minutes with a die grinder to open up the
holes a bit.

The tram issue had me concerned quite a bit, but turned out to be a
really simple fix. It involved loosening the mounting bolts between
the base and stand, jacking up the base, and inserting shims between
the base corners and the bosses on the stand that the base sits on.
The tram is now within 0.001" in 13" on X and 9" on Y. The jack was
simple to make and I can upload some photos if anyone is interested.
Tormach has since modified the manufacturing process to eliminate or
greatly reduce the problem I had.

Greg, Bob, and the other folks at Tormach were very responsive to all
of my questions and Greg has frequently responded to email on a
weekend, often within an hour or two of emailing him. The company is
easily one of the best I've dealt with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy
another mill from them.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a few pages that
document the mill from uncrating to checkout in the garage,
disasembly, moving it to the basement and then re-assembling it. The
process went a lot better than I expected, due largely to a darned
good design on Tormach's part.

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/tormach_cnc_mill.htm

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "rocketscientistnate"
<rocketscientistnate@...> wrote:

> Can I ask what kind of "minor problems"? Also it doesn't seem to
have
> any way to hook up a digitizer probe, is this right? Its not
> something I have to have, but it would be nice.
>
> Nate
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "mikehenryil"
> <michaelhenry@> wrote:
> >
> > I've had one for about 3 months and have been very happy with it,
> > though it hasn't been stressed much yet. There were a few minor
> > problems that were easily worked through and Tormach was quite
> > responsive to all my questions. I'd buy again im a heartbeat.
> >
> > Mike

Discussion Thread

rocketscientistnate 2007-02-22 08:28:59 UTC Tormach Bob Campbell 2007-02-22 10:03:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tormach Philip Burman 2007-02-22 13:11:02 UTC Re: Tormach mikehenryil 2007-02-23 07:17:22 UTC Re: Tormach rocketscientistnate 2007-02-23 18:13:19 UTC Re: Tormach Dennis Cranston 2007-02-23 19:10:05 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tormach mikehenryil 2007-02-24 07:56:14 UTC Re: Tormach ballendo 2007-02-24 16:26:18 UTC Re: Tormach art 2007-02-25 06:54:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Tormach mikehenryil 2007-02-25 10:02:56 UTC Re: Tormach