CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How well does your CNC retrofitted desktop mill performs?

Posted by WT
on 2007-05-05 16:20:09 UTC
Hi Marcus,

Thanks a lot for the info and advise. I guess the biggest question is how to
define tight tolerance.

The small parts I have seen are not for the mass-market end products of the
semicon industry but mostly parts for some jigs, dies, and not overly
delicate or sensitive parts. These parts to my inexperienced eyes do not
seem to have high or tight tolerances to the extend of +/-0.0005". They are
mostly being produced using manual knee mills with DRO and I was told with
backlash problem in the leadscrew.

Considering that ball screws can have "practically" no backlash or about
0.01mm backlash with proper pre-loading, is it not possible to do a CNC
retrofit mill that will match these manual knee mill clones?

Your additional inputs and the experiences of others in this list will be
much appreciated. Thank you.

WT