CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto

Jerry Jankura wrote:
> Hi, Folks:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion to check out the attributes of MINI.TCL. It
> turns out that the Windows editor I used to add my modifications to the
> MINI.TCL failed to keep the file's attributes - specifically the one
> that indicated that the file was an executable.
>
> Once I knew what the problem was, I was able to use chmod to set the TCL
> file to executable and EMC took off with my mods to MINI.
>
> One other question - My Y and Z motors have the incorrect sense - that
> is, +Z moves the tool towards the table and -Z moves the table away from
> the table. What is the accepted way of correcting this problem in the
> software?

Change the sign of INPUT_SCALE (and possibly OUTPUT_SCALE) in
the ini file for that axis.
> And, finally - is anyone running Ubuntu + EMC2 on a 450Mhz machine with
> only 256 Mbytes of memory? If so, could you share your opinions of its
> usefulness. I tried to load Ubuntu into a machine with only 192 Mbytes
> of memory and got so much thrashing back and forth that I gave up. I've
> since expanded that machine to 256 Mbytes, which is as much as it'll
> take and am curious if I'd have better results if I again attempted to
> install Ubuntu on it.
I run a recent Ubuntu EMC on a Dell 6xx MHz Pentium with 128 MB.
Note that I could not install with less than 256 MB, but the
standard install worked fine when I borrowed another memory
SIMM. I have found it needs a decent graphics card, maybe 4 MB
or more. If the graphics card has too little memory, it hangs
the install. If the main memory is too small, it thrashes.
I have never had a problem installing Ubuntu with 256 MB of
memory, and it runs pretty fast. I think it may install a
little faster with more memory, but it is not a real problem at 256.

Jerry Jankura 2007-05-11 21:26:20 UTC Ubuntu Howto David G. LeVine 2007-05-11 22:45:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto Bill Vance 2007-05-12 00:30:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto Jon Elson 2007-05-12 11:36:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto Jerry Jankura 2007-05-12 20:42:52 UTC Re: Ubuntu Howto Jerry Jankura 2007-05-13 17:10:02 UTC Ubuntu Howto Jon Elson 2007-05-13 20:47:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto Stephen Wille Padnos 2007-05-13 21:42:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ubuntu Howto Andrey Lipavsky 2007-05-13 21:55:19 UTC O/T Product notice