CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Transformer and voltage drop

Posted by zs6bxi
on 2007-07-06 11:54:34 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

> caudlet wrote:
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Anders Wallin
> > <anders.wallin@> wrote:
> >

> >>Hi Jon, everyone,

> >>Yes, the secondaries are in series. I can't load it up to full
power
> >>(30A) with the resistors, lamps, and ovens I'm using for load
testing,
> >>but the trend is there...

> >>Good advice, thanks. I removed the current limiter, and the AC
load

> > test
> >
> >>now gives a much more reasonable voltage drop of about 0.3 Volts
per
> >>amp. That matches the ca 0.3 Ohm or so resistance that can be
measured
> >>over the secondaries with a multimeter.
> >>
> >>But I still see a big voltage drop when connecting the bridge
rectifier
> >>and caps and loading up the psu:
> >>http://www.anderswallin.net/2007/07/transformer-test/
> >>
> >>I tried this with two different bridge rectifiers just to be
sure...

> >>Please tell me I don't have to invest in some expensive PFC
circuit

> > like
> >
> >>suggested in some comments...
> >>
> >>thanks,
> >>
> >>Anders
> >>

> > It would appear from you curve that the DC numbers start to
approach
> > the AC curve at higher loads. What you are seeing is a typical
curve
> > for an unregulated supply. At light loads it sits at peak AC
values.
> > As the load increases the DC will slump but not in a linear
fashion.
> > You provide your own PFC as you load the supply and current is
drawn
> > from the primary across the full waveform. It would be more
> > meaningful to measure the change from 20% load to 100% load.
> >
> > I don't know what motors you are going to run with this beast but
you
> > will find that under normal operation and cutting the RMS current
will
> > be pretty low.
> >
> > The inrush limiter is a form of NTC thermistor. It's resistance
drops
> > with current (and heat). It never goes to zero thus the added
loss.
> > A better arrangement is to have a power relay with a delay timer
in
> > parallel with the inrush limiter and short it out after a few
seconds.
> > No loss limiting.
> The only problem with all these schemes (NTC thermistor,
> slow-start relay) is that they don't solve the problem on short
> power interruptions. That can cause a current surge that can
> pop things. So, a little bit of resistance and leakage
> inductance in the transformer is a good thing. There's no way
> [...]

Hi, as an elctronics engineer who designs these things once in a
while I have to say that what you have got there is pretty much how
it should be.
The bit that most people miss with this kind of power supply is that
the transformer only has a very short time during the peak of the
output waveform in which to charge the capacitors. This means that if
the average output current of the load is (say) 10 amps then the
actual charging current will be in excess of 100 amps since the
changing time will be only 10% or less of the cycle. The output
impedance / circuit of the transformer and the wiring connecting the
rectifier to the capacitor is working in 100 amp pulses so if you
want to minimise voltage drop or losses you need a very heavy gauge
of connection wire and short lengths.
To fix this kind of problem there are several solutions.....none of
them will really help you though. One is to use a three phase supply
and rectifier, then there are six charging pulses per cycle instead
of two. Another is to put a DC choke after the rectifier in the lead
to the capacitor. The choke allows the rectifier to conduct for more
of the time giving a better load regulation. The catch is to be any
use the choke has to be similar size to the transformer !!
Not much help I'm afraid but there is probably not much wrong with
your kit although heavier wiring will help.

Regards Bob

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2007-06-25 02:52:13 UTC some more milk digitizing ideas Abby Katt 2007-07-01 06:02:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] some more milk digitizing ideas Abby Katt 2007-07-01 07:21:36 UTC CNC lathe toolpath software? Graham Stabler 2007-07-01 07:31:07 UTC Re: some more milk digitizing ideas Robert Colin Campbell 2007-07-01 08:01:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC lathe toolpath software? Kevin Martin 2007-07-01 09:41:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] some more milk digitizing ideas Graham Stabler 2007-07-01 16:49:41 UTC Re: some more milk digitizing ideas Mark Bingham 2007-07-01 21:14:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: some more milk digitizing ideas Steve Blackmore 2007-07-02 03:49:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC lathe toolpath software? vrsculptor 2007-07-02 08:15:34 UTC Re: some more milk digitizing ideas Anders Wallin 2007-07-02 08:33:35 UTC Transformer and voltage drop Mark Vaughan 2007-07-02 12:00:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer and voltage drop caudlet 2007-07-03 12:28:36 UTC Re: Transformer and voltage drop Jon Elson 2007-07-04 21:51:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer and voltage drop diazden 2007-07-05 05:33:55 UTC Re: Transformer and voltage drop Anders Wallin 2007-07-05 10:31:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Transformer and voltage drop caudlet 2007-07-05 15:03:36 UTC Re: Transformer and voltage drop Jon Elson 2007-07-05 17:56:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Transformer and voltage drop zs6bxi 2007-07-06 11:54:34 UTC Re: Transformer and voltage drop David G. LeVine 2007-07-07 12:30:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Transformer and voltage drop