CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] HD PWM DC speed controller

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2007-09-10 16:00:06 UTC
Oh, you're using Vex. I know a guy on our team who does a lot of stuff with
the EduBot, so he might know a solution. The joystick solution might work.
Your best bet is probably the FRC type controller, preferably the really old
ones. Victors aren't cheap, but they work really well. I've used several
of the IFI products for other applications, such as using Spikes as
self-contained, optoisolated relay modules for use with my CNC driver board
(primarily for the coolant system, which is controlled with a pneumatic
solenoid, but also for the auxiliar cooling fans for the controller and
motor (on a timer).
Michael

On 9/10/07, Chuck Merja <chuckm@...> wrote:

> Thanks, We have a 2005 version of the edubot controller (just before
> they
> went to VEX), so it needs an RC control. IFI says hooking the VEX
> controller to the edubot isn't trivial, so am wondering about it. If I
> could find a way to hard wire it, that might be a solution, then just get
> some more Victors, eh?
>
> What if I took apart a joystick and wired it (X and Y at least into the
> analog inputs of the edubot controller? Then reprogram it to look at the X
> and Y inputs and output to the 884's speed and direction? Probably a
> little
> above me right now, but I could probably learn how to do this.
>
> Thanks, Chuck.
>
> >FYI-Victor 884's are PWM controllers. What you want is to find a team
> who's got one of the really old IFI mini-RC's. They can run stand-alone
> and
> don't need an OI, radios, etc to run. We use one to control a
> small-go-kart we built this year. IFI gave them to teams until the late
> 1990's or so, in two versions. One has an integral radio, the other one
> was
> designed to be used with an RC Car radio. Look for something about the
> size
> of a pack of playing cards. They work great.
> Michael
>
> On 9/10/07, ebiz_59 <chuckm@... <chuckm%403rivers.net>> wrote:
> >>
> >> I work with high school kids building robots. Most of the time, we
> >> are us IFI Robotics controllers and Victor 884���s -
> >> http://www.ifirobotics.com/rc.shtml to supply power to the motors.
> >> However, we are now trying to make a unit that we ride, so we are
> > interested in replacing the whole remote control system with two PWM
> > motor speed controllers. We currently have two choices for ground
> > drive motors and their specs are thus: 12 vdc, 270 - 340 ish peak
> > watts, stall torque 350 ��" 570 oz-in, stall amps 96 ��" 133, no load
> > running amps 1 ��" 2.7 amps, no load rpm 2700 to 5300. I've looked some
> > for PWM controllers, but don't seem to find ones big enough. Any help
> > would be appreciated. thanks, Chuck

ebiz_59 2007-09-10 00:44:21 UTC HD PWM DC speed controller Bob Muse 2007-09-10 01:02:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] HD PWM DC speed controller Michael Fagan 2007-09-10 06:37:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] HD PWM DC speed controller Chuck Merja 2007-09-10 11:43:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] HD PWM DC speed controller Robert 2007-09-10 14:41:23 UTC Re: HD PWM DC speed controller Michael Fagan 2007-09-10 16:00:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] HD PWM DC speed controller